Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:11 AM   #1

Off to a bit of a rocky start here with my D70.

I'm trying to install a custom curve during the process of running through this tutorial (http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/lessons.html). Prior to beginning, I hadn't installed any software for the D70 yet. So I downloaded the custom curve, then had to install (and update) the trial version of the nikon capture control, and therein came the problem.

Basically, the problem is that the capture control doesn't recognize my camera hooked into the usb port.

At some point, I believe after I had the capture control trial software installed, windows 98se recognized the fact that my camera was hooked into the usb and did the "building a driver database) thing, but didn't have or find the driver needed.

Is this because I didn't have the other software that came with the camera already installed? What happened is that I was prompted to insert the win98 disk (presumably so it could look for the driver), but not only is my win disk cracked, but it just can't be the case that the driver I need is on there anyway.

So, what I have is the picture perfect software installed (used the "easy install"), and the nikon capture control trial version installed (updated to the latest version). However, when I try to open the capture control software I get the "camera not recognized" message (or something like that).

What it boils down to is I think I need to get the proper driver installed and I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish that at this point. I'd really appreciate some help. I had actually hoped to take a few pics today (lol)!

Thanks, in advance.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:06 PM   #2

Not that anyone was paying much attention to this thread, but I finally got things straightened out.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:04 AM   #3

I only just logged on and saw the message. Was your problem that the D70 was in the wrong USB mode?
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:24 AM   #4

Actually, the problem was that the software needed a windows file that relates to usb transfer (even though I was already using usb with my previous cam), and I didn't have the w98 disk to use because I accidentally stepped on in quite a while ago.

The file in question, however, was already in the windows/cabs folder on my computer so it turned out not to be a big deal.