Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:29 AM   #1

Looking into the flashes for the D70 on the Nikon site, I noticed the copy on the page for the SB 600 mentions the D70 "Available Options with D2H Pro Digital SLR and D70 Digital SLR", but there's no mention of the D70 on the SB 800 page. Nikon seems to be pushing the SB 600. I'm looking for a good flash that's not too complicated, I'm probably better off with fewer bells and whistles, though I don;t want to miss out on an important feature. The flash will be mostly used for boudoir photography, I'm looking for opinion on which would be best.

Thanks,
Todd

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=SB600

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=4801
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:25 PM   #2

Both flashes you mention will work just fine on the D70. Both will probably deliver about the same quality. Off the top of my head, the biggest differences are:

* 800 is more powerful so you can be further from your subject
* 800 can serve as a master flash to remotely triger other flahses

I know there is more, but I draw a blank right now. Either is easy to use. I bought the 800 because it is more powerful and there isn't much difference in price between the two. I love the flash. I just used it the other night at a birthday party and I was so impressed with the quality.

This topic comes up from time to time though, so do a search and you'll put up some old threads on this same subj. for additional information.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 7:51 PM   #3

mdparker wrote:
Quote:
Both flashes you mention will work just fine on the D70. Both will probably deliver about the same quality. Off the top of my head, the biggest differences are:

* 800 is more powerful so you can be further from your subject
* 800 can serve as a master flash to remotely triger other flahses
Mdparker is correct in saying that the SB800 can remotely fire other flashes, but this is not needed with the D70 as the built-in pop up flash can be used in commander mode to fire one or moreSB600 or SB800 flashes. I've had my D70 for only a few days but I can say that the commander mode with a 600 works very well.

The 800 comes with a diffusion dome reflector, but this is not included with the 600.
gjphoto is offline   Reply With Quote