Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:41 AM   #1

I learned a lot yesterday, a surprising amount in fact. But during the process of reading tutorials, forum threads, the manual, and generally bouncing around looking for information, I started thinking about what accessories I need to get. With pretty limited funds at the moment, I'm hoping some folks can help me prioritize my needs.

So, what accessories do I need to get? I bought a second battery and a 512mb sandisk ultra II CF card when I bought the camera. I also have a pretty cheap tripod that I'm going to have to make due with for the time being. It seems to me a polarizing filter and camera bag are a couple of things. Is there something I need for lense protection that isn't included in the kit? Can I get by without a camera bag for now given I only have one lense and, at most, will only have two anytime in the reasonably near feature? Are there cheap bags that will suffice for me for a while and/or could I use things I already have (like a normal napsack or small leather overnight/duffel bag)?

Being not only a dSLR novice, but an SLR novice as well, can anyone help me figure out the accessories I need and help me prioritize those needs/wants a little?

Thanks again to the forum(s) for the help the last few days.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:15 AM   #2

You propably already have a card reader, but what about a compactflash carrier? A small memory card holder that you can keep in your pocket is very handy, plus it protects the memory cards, and is less likely to get lost compared to the plastic protectors in which the compactflash came in.

I used to use a non specific bag to carry my equipment, but found a camera specific bag to offer much better protection than bath towels wrpping the equipment. They offer padding all around, and some of them even are weather proof. If a small affordable bag is what you want, look at the Lowepro Nova AW series. They come in several size grades, I personally use a Nova 4 AW, which fits my D100 + 28-70 AF-S lens, one SB-800 flash, spare AA's in their chargers, a Leatherman Wave, spare EN-EL3's, two filters and some miscelaneous small things in the outer pocket.

There are more accesories than I can remember, maybe someone else will have more to add
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:20 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for the response!

Amazingly enough, I ended up getting a bag today and it's a LowPro. I also bought a polarizing filter and a uv filter.

Thanks to the tax refund that was in the mail today, I probably could swing a decent 70-300mm lense.

Help me, I've lost all control.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:58 AM   #4

I would say maybe look into the SB600 flash? It is not cheap but I have seen good results.
6920 is offline   Reply With Quote