Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:02 AM   #1

I want to make a decision between the two cameras. Most people generallyrecommendD70 over the D100. My question is whether the D100 has a much shorter focus + shutter lag than the D70. I'm currently using the Minolta Dimage Z2 which has a focus + shutter lag of 0.4s stated on this website. The D70 also has the same specs. My present camera certainly does not cut it when trying to take pictures of my young daughter at home (even in bright lighting). Somehow, taking that picture seem to take longer than 0.4s would suggest. Most of the time, I'll miss the shot because a toddler does not stay still r hold an expression.

So if the D70 also has a rated 0.4s focus + shutter lag, thenit would perform like my current one andis too slow. I'm wondering if the D100 has a much faster response. I mean something of the speed of the old film cameras. I used to use N70 and that seems plenty fast compared to today's <$2000 digital cams. Would appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks.
konei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:07 AM   #2

The autofocus sensor on both D70 and D100 are the same: AF module Multi-Cam 900, and coupled to an AF-S lens, the combination will be very fast. I assure you it would be faster than anything non DSLR. Couple a higher up pro body like F100/F5/D1x/D2h with AF-S or even non AF-S lenses, and you'll get even faster auto-focus and shorter shutter lag! Try it out for yourself at a photo store and you will see the difference a DSLR makes.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3

Like marokero states, just go try a D70 at the camera store. I don't really get into how fast shot to shot is, shutter lag, etc, but I can tell you the D70 seems pretty darn quick to me. I can turn it on, immediately put it to my face and the camera is literally ready to shoot. I think I can get about 3 frames per second in continuous mode. All in all, I love the speed and hadn't had problems capturing what I shoot, but I hadn't tried any toddlers lately either.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:40 AM   #4

Thank you for your advice, I'll go by a camera shop to test the focus response. I just checked www.imaging-resource.com and they seem to state the D70 has a focus speed of 0.342-0.486s while the D100 is 0.15 - ? depending on lens. So does the lens packaged with D70 really make a difference in speed with it silent wave motor ? Or can I go for a Sigma lens with f2.8 aperture. I was hoping for a f2.8 lens but cannot afford the extorbitant Nikon ones.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:58 AM   #5

Once you go AF-S you won't go back to regular AF :G But seriously, Even in AF-S lenses there's a slight variation, say for example my 28-70 and my 70-200 VR lenses, the 70-200 is a bit faster to focus. Sigma also has their HSM line of lenses which should offer similar performance as AF-S.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:03 AM   #6

konei wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for your advice, I'll go by a camera shop to test the focus response. I just checked www.imaging-resource.com and they seem to state the D70 has a focus speed of 0.342-0.486s while the D100 is 0.15 - ? depending on lens. So does the lens packaged with D70 really make a difference in speed with it silent wave motor ? Or can I go for a Sigma lens with f2.8 aperture. I was hoping for a f2.8 lens but cannot afford the extorbitant Nikon ones.
Hi, excuse my curiosity but what type of photos do you shoot that 2 or 3 tenths of a second can make such a difference?

My real life experience with the D70 is that I press the shutter and it focuses and takes the picture instantly if I need to get that really fast picture.
My non-scientific estimate of the D70's lag would be: What lag?
El_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 2:40 AM   #7

Prob is D70 is rated at 0.4sec, the same AF speed as my current Z2. If my Z2 feels like it takes much more than that, I probaby expect the D70 to do the same.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 1:25 PM   #8

If you are in the habit of just punching the shutter button and waiting for the shutter to fire, there is a lag. However, the D100 is the third Nikon camera I have owned and early on I got into the habit of pushing the button part way and when I get exposure/focus lock, pushing the rest of the way. Once the exposure/focus is locked, there is practically no delay to fire the shutter. Also, once exposure/focus is locked, you can recompose slightly before releasing the shutter. This is most useful with spot metering. I will ofter spot meter on something that is not lined up with the spot in the viewfinder, lock the exposure/focus, and then line up the shot I really want.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote