Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:17 PM   #1

I discovered early on that I did not like to use my SB 800 attached to the hotshoe of my D70 (too top heavy for me). To solve this problem, I purchased the following items: 1 Nikon SK-7 bracket (to house the D70 and SB 800 side-by-side), one Nikon AS-10 TTL Multi-flash adapter (to fasten the SB 800 to the SK-7 bracket), and finally, a Nikon AS-15 SYNC terminal adapter and a Nikon SC-11 Sync cord(toconnect the SB 800 to the D70).

After getting everything hooked up, I was surprised (no, mortified) to find out that my photos were coming out almost completely white. I researched the manual only to find a blurb under the heading of Speedlights Connected via a Sync Cable that stated, "Auto white balance may not produce the desired results when the AS-15 accessory shoe adapter is used to connect optional Speedlights via a sync cable. Use preset white balance or set white balance to Flash to adjust white balance." But, of course!!!!!

Well, not a chance. I attempted to make the recommended setting changes and then some without success. I even changed the flash status (Master, remote, etc.)Obviosly, I am not as smart as I thought I was (not the first time this fact has been proven to me). I wouldappreciate any assistance in pointing me in the right direction to solve this dilemma. Thanks.
firstatthescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:18 PM   #2

In your combination, only the AS-10 is TTL ready, the AS-15 and the SC-11 are sync only accessories, meaning the flash just got the "fire" signal, nothing else.
The simplest solution for you is to get the SC-17, making the camera's hotshoe to flash's hotshoe connection with all contacts, electrically just like the flash is on the camera.

SC-17 : Nikon TTL Off-Camera Shoe Cord

firstatthescene wrote: [/b]

Quote:
I discovered early on that I did not like to use my SB 800 attached to the hotshoe of my D70 (too top heavy for me).
yep, that's why I love bracket mount flash

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:20 PM   #3

it's curious, I can't paste the link in the other post ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=37 916&is=REG

Oh, the SC-17 is replaced by the SC-28

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...477&is=REG

=========================================

Another thing:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...n_d70_pg2.html

Quote:

The built-in speedlight can be used in Commander Mode to remotely control one group of multiple wireless SB-600 and/or SB-800 Speedlights

This mode will save you a wire :G, but I don't know how it works :?

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 6:41 PM   #4

You can also get the SC-29 which will attach to the D70's hot-shoe, and serve as an autofocus aide, perhaps providing better aid than the SB800's own light - I inquired at Nikon's booth during PhotoPlus Expo last month, but no one could tell me whether the SC-29 was indeed brighter.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:18 PM   #5

Thanks, KCan. I will certainly pusue your suggestions. Thanks for the quick response.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:21 PM   #6

Thanks, marokero. I will look into your suggestion, as well.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:01 PM   #7

Set the D70 to "P" when using the internal or external SB-600 or SB-800 flash, the computer takes over and the results are amazing.

Try it

Good luck
ltccarndt is offline   Reply With Quote