Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:51 PM   #11

Dont, I have had nothing but trouble with Canon over the last four years and their service seems to do nothing.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:32 PM   #12

Well, I finally got my hands on a Canon 20D Saturday to try it out. Very nice camera, felt comfortable in the hand and seemed pretty quick. The wheel seems like a great idea. I also tried a D2H to get an approximation of how the D1H would feel. I've never used a vertical grip before, but it felt comfortable right away.
When I crunched the numbers, I couldn't pass up the deal I got on a D1H off ebay. If I had gone with the 20D and sold all my Nikon stuff I would have come out ahead financially, but I'd be with one camera. By keeping the D70 and adding the D1H I have two cameras, which includes a more durable pro body with speed. The D1H will be my action shot camera, with the D70 as backup and a second lens. I've been worried about how many shots I've put on my D70 (don't know if that's causing the intermittent problem of the camera refusing to turn of or not) since it's not a pro durability camera yet I've been using it as such. Since getting the D70 in mid-June I'd estimate I've done about 1,000 shots a week. This way I can send the camera in for repairs if needed and not have to worry about being without a good camera. If I went with the 20D my emergency spare would be my Minolta Z1 which has focusing issues and stinks at indoor sports shooting.
If I was starting from scratch, I would probably go with Canon because of the relative value compared to Nikon and better technology (esp. in regards to noise levels at high ISO). I know of photographers both on this forum and in person who have Canon as personal gear but are stuck with Nikon gear at work. However, some of these people I asked told me the D1H was a great camera and it's not like one maker produces garbage at all.
I realize the D1H is somewhat old technology, especially in regards to MP and battery, but it does have good speed plus having to constantly fill the frame will hopefully improve my photography skills since I can't rely too much on cropping.
Speaking of batteries, in going through various forums I see people mentioning Polaroid's EN-4 equivalent is superior to the regular Nikon EN-4, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I haven't seen many other brands being mentioned as "good" ones. Any suggestions?
:|
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:33 PM   #13

murphyc - no doubt a pro body would be better suited for action.

On the weekend, I had the opportunity to try out a TC-20E (2x teleconverter) on a 70-200VR. Indoors (with corresponding max aperture equivalent of f/5.6), the AF speed on the D70 was horrendously slow. Even taking into account the 70-200 is an AFS lens and does not use the torque screw motor on the body for focusing. On the D2H, AF speed was surprisingly similar to without the teleconverter, and performance was definitely better. The D70 just would not lock focus on anything, the D2H was fine. The D1H wouldn't be too dissimilar I'd imagine - it's only a generation behind the current flagship.

Also, there's a feeExif reader program I came across that allows you to keep track the number of shutter actuations on your camera body. IExif by Opanda software: www.opanda.com

After installing, open an out of camera jpeg and scroll all the way down to Maker Notes and there's an entry for total number of shutter releases. No other exif reader program I know of has this facility, which I personally find very useful.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:26 AM   #14

Onyx, thank you very much for the link. It was very useful. Picture Project had told me just over 26,000 images had been downloaded, but I didn't know how many pics I had actually taken including ones deleted from the camera. The opanda told me I passed the 28,000 mark last week. Not bad for a camera I got in mid-June. :G
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:34 PM   #15

Ive had Canon for years and I dont think the next camera will be Canon because of their awful repair and customer service. My camera is going in for its third time and I have little hope of the focus being fixed anymore. My last dslr before this one had to go in twice also. Im finding that ease of getting things repaired to be a big factor in what brand to buy.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:10 PM   #16

Onyx, thanks that opanda is a good link

Murphyc, I think you made the right choice with the D1H.The investment in lenses is why I don't jump from brand to brand, you tend to take a bath trying to sell off older stuff to make the switch, and if you wait a week the next best thing would come along anyway.

As for repairs and service departments I have had troubles with several manufacturers. I think today the modern makers don't want the costs to maintain good big service departments. (Except Leica, they will bring any of their cameras back to spec, way out of my price range though.)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:49 AM   #17

Onyx wrote: aside from lack of cable shutter release and a vertical grip option (the latter has since been addressed by 3rd parties).

Could you provide any links?
Challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:00 AM   #18

Challenger wrote:
Quote:
Could you provide any links?
http://www.harbortronics.com

http://www.cameragrips.com

http://www.hkjenis.com/English/Esbxl3.html

Any one who visited the Fotokina exhibition in September would also have seena functioning vertical grip onthe D70 (not officially sanctioned by Nikon).

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 2:24 PM   #19

Is there any other exif program that can read the shutter count on a Nikon D1H?
MAT75 is offline   Reply With Quote