Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:39 AM   #1

Today I had problems turning my D70 off. Turn switch to 'off,' all info. still on LCD display, able to take pics and everything. Tried my spare battery, same results. Only way to truly turn camera off was taking out the battery. Camera would sometimes turn off, but majority of time it wouldn't. Any ideas/suggestions? :?: TIA
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 4:14 PM   #2

I have a two year old NikonN70 (film camera) at home that has exactly the same problem. I also have a D70 on it's way to my house right now, so I'm hoping this isn't an issue for Nikon cameras in general.

If anyone figures out a cure (ie. not having to remove the batteries when the camera is not in use), I too would be interested to hear it.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:16 PM   #3

I haven't had this problem, but I did once while on a holiday have a problem where the LED that indicates memory-card usage was constantly on for about 10 minutes after the last shot was taken.

Damn scary when you don't know whether you can switch the camera off without losing once in a lifetime photos..

Hope you work this out. Sorry to hear you're having trouble..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:27 PM   #4

Have you downloaded the recent Firmware update for the D70?

Here's the link:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...lPTE*&p_li=
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the link Jerry, I'll have to look into that. It's been happening with camera set to Large instead of Medium, maybe the problem happens with either setting. I'll also e-mail Nikon about it.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:20 PM   #6

It doesn't seem to matter what image quality/size settings the camera has, I'm having the problem at all settings though about 1/3 of the time there's no problem. Maybe I'll do the firmware update tonight and see what happens. I'm also still waiting to hear back from Nikon.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:10 PM   #7

I own the D70 and haven't had any problems. There could be several different reasons why this might be happening. A faulty On/Off switch, etc.

Please check to see whcih Firmware version you have.

In theSetup menu (page 155) you should have the following:

A 1.01

B 1.02
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote