Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:23 PM   #1

I know the D70 is a better DSLR, but is it worth that much more money? The D70 is $1200 with rebate Canon $750-800 with rebate. I am now a Minolta user and don't want to even go there $1500 !!!
davemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:26 AM   #2

It depends on your needs. I belive the rebel does not have a spot meter, not as fast shot to shot, or start up time, and the kit lens end turns making it a bad choice for polarzier filters. This is only a few differences I can think of off the top of my head.But I'vealso heard some claim that the rebel pictures look better staight out of the camera; I couldn't say 1st hand on that. I do have a friend with a rebel and he really likes it. I have a D70 and I really like my too. If you already have an investentment in nikon or canon lenes, then personally I'd go with that camera unless one of the camera's has a feature you just can't live without.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:27 PM   #3

The price difference is more like $250-$300 and the Nikon kit lens is much nicer.

If I was going Canon, just buy the body and a better lens= closer in price with the D70. I've got no issues with the 300D... it's a nice camera, good quality image. The D70 overall, is a superior camera with room to grow.

I personally would notprefer a dumbed down version to a full featured version but thats me... I know quite a few people who do not want to fiddle with a plethora of user settings, and who are very pleased with the 300D.

Some like Red Delicious apples some like Macintosh... I like Macintosh- both are fine apples.

Both cameras will take very fine pictures... neither one will take fine pictures all by themselves. Neither, will make one a finephotographer- both, will perform well in the hands of a fine photographer.

The End
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:58 PM   #4

On buydig, the Rebel is $700 after rebate while the D70 is $1200 after rebate. That delta is $500 !!! Not worth it.. Go with the Rebel and buy a nice USM lens..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:43 AM   #5

Just checked the buydig site, Digital Rebel is $657 after rebate (body only), D70 is $899 after rebate (body only).
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:23 AM   #6

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
On buydig, the Rebel is $700 after rebate while the D70 is $1200 after rebate. That delta is $500 !!! Not worth it.. Go with the Rebel and buy a nice USM lens..
Does the Rebel price include the kit lens? I'd highly doubt it. The $1200 is the cost of the D70 + the kit lens which is much better then the Cannon kit lens.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:17 PM   #7

The D70's kit lens is much nicer, USM... vs. an entry-level plastic zoom. that only is worth the 300$ What more, the D70 finish is much better, feals rugged vs 300D a bit "cheap".

The 300D is a good camera makes very good pictures, but you get plenty more for the 300$...
Janus_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:27 AM   #8

The D70 turns on instantly just by tapping the shutter. The Rebel and 10D take a few seconds which drives me nuts and would cause me to miss photos.

The D70 has a combination electronic and mechanical shutter, while the similar Canons only have the old style mechanical shutter. Thus the D70 has a flash sync speed two to three times that of Canon.

With Nikon I can use my 12 - 24 mm lens for true ultrawide photography, while Canon has both a longer crop factor and makes no such zoom anyway.

The D70 has trims to fine tune each white balance preset, the Rebel and 10D don't.

The D70 is much easier to set and use in the field, which is paramount.

The D70 has a rear LCD protector that can be snapped off and replaced for about $20 when you scratch it up enough. Check me on this one, but the Rebel lacks this so you'll need to replace the whole Rebel once you scratch up the rear screen from carrying it around.

The Rebel is a nasty amateur fake chrome color, and the Nikon is professional black.

Presuming you go for the kit with the special lens for each camera, the Canon's 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6 lens has a smaller zoom range and is slower (f/5.6 at the long end) than Nikon's 18 - 70mm f/3.5 - 4.5 lens.

Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote