Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2004, 12:57 AM   #1

So I recently purchased a D70. Sometimes when I turn the camera on the green LED light is lit up as though it is trying to access the flash card. The light stays on and while I can take pics, none of them wite to the card. I am not able to turn the camera off and the only way to shut it down is to pull out the battery and loose whatever pics I just took. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on this one? The firmware is also current.

Thanks
quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:08 AM   #2
Administrator

quinn wrote:
Quote:
So I recently purchased a D70. Sometimes when I turn the camera on the green LED light is lit up as though it is trying to access the flash card. The light stays on and while I can take pics, none of them wite to the card. I am not able to turn the camera off and the only way to shut it down is to pull out the battery and loose whatever pics I just took. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on this one? The firmware is also current.

Well... I would rule out the obvious first and try a different CompactFlash card in it. If the card is the culprit, try formatting the one that isn't working with the camera. If you can't format it via the camera menus, try a card reader (I'd probably go with FAT as the file system type on a card that's 2GB or smaller, even though the camera supports FAT32).

If that doesn't work (and a different card works), see if the vendor or manufacturer will replace the card.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:14 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
quinn wrote:
Quote:

Well... I would rule out the obvious first and try a different CompactFlash card in it.** If the card is the culprit, try formatting the one that isn't working with the camera.* If you can't format it via the camera menus, try a card reader (I'd probably go with FAT as the file system type on a card that's 2GB or smaller, even though the camera supports FAT32).

If that doesn't work (and a different card works), see if the vendor or manufacturer will replace the card.
Oh...I forgot to mention that it does this with both flash cards that I own so i don't think its the card.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:29 AM   #4
Administrator

quinn wrote:
Quote:
Oh...I forgot to mention that it does this with both flash cards that I own so i don't think its the card.
I'd still try to format them with the camera to make sure that the cards aren't at fault before giving up on it (it sure sounds like a card problem to me). Or, better yet, try a different brand of card if formatting them doesn't help.

You may also want to try a different battery if you have acccess to one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:38 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
quinn wrote:
Quote:
I'd still try to format them with the camera to make sure that the cards aren't at fault before giving up on it (it sure sounds like a card problem to me).** Or, better yet, try a different brand of card if formatting them doesn't help.

You may also want to try a different battery if you have acccess to one.

Thanks for the response. I've tried two cards...one sandisk one kingston (not high speed, just regular) and it has the problem with both. I've also formatted both cards. Haven't tried a different battery, but I have one coming in the mail
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:58 PM   #6

quinn

There is a firmware update on the NIKON Support site that may fix your problem. Here is a description of one of the fixes:

When images were captured in Continous mode at an image size setting of M and an Image quality of FINE, the memory card access lamp sometimes glowed continously and the camera could not be turned off with the power switch.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...er/std_alp.php
ddouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:36 PM   #7

I have the latest firmware but could it be that it was not installed properly? Can I reinstall the firmware even though it is current?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:53 PM   #8

quinn

I downloaded firmware file a while back, but have not yet tried installing in my camera, mainly due the the warnings about making the camera inoperable. Did you install the existing firmware or did it come with the current version? If you installed it and have any reason to believe that is was not installed correctly, I would not think that it would hurt to try it again. If the camera came with the current firmware version, I would take the cameraback to the retailer.
ddouth is offline   Reply With Quote