Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:15 PM   #1

I learned photography using film SLRs and do pretty good, but with the Digital SLRs I feel like a babe in the woods so hears my questionis it safe to leave the compact flash card in for a period of time ? like over night or for days without doing damage to my camera, also once I have formated the card the first time is that the last time or do I have to format it every time I insert it into my D70 from what I have read It's just the once but the manual that comes with the D70 is kind on confusing can someone help.
:cart:
Bones_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

Yes, it's safe to leave the compactflash card in your camera. It will not damage your camera.

As for formatting, technically, you could format it just once and keep using it, deleting pics, and reusing it, but what happens after deleting and adding pics several times is the same thing that happens to disk drives---fragmentation. It's a little involved to get into here, but look into it.

What I do is: after using my compactflash card after about 3 or 4 times, I format it. That way I minimize fragmentation.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:13 AM   #3

As Jerry said, it will not harm your camera to leave the memory card in serted. After you have down loaded the pictures to you PC and have made a backup copy the pictures can be deleted from the memory card. Deleting them one by one is pretty time consuming. It is much quicker and easier just the re-format the card, which will delete all of the pictures and start from scratch.
ddouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:27 PM   #4

Thanks very much this has been very helpful.
I just wanted to make sure before I made a big mistake and ruined an expensive camera
Bones_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:50 AM   #5

JerryF wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it's safe to leave the compactflash card in your camera. It will not damage your camera.

As for formatting, technically, you could format it just once and keep using it, deleting pics, and reusing it, but what happens after deleting and adding pics several times is the same thing that happens to disk drives---fragmentation. It's a little involved to get into here, but look into it.

What I do is: after using my compactflash card after about 3 or 4 times, I format it. That way I minimize fragmentation.
Sorry, but that's not the case. Fragmentation is a per-file phenomenon; a given file may be split into two or more "chunks" - hence, fragmented - which imparts increased delay with mechanical disk systems, such as hard drives or floppies, due to the need for the disk's head to move between the different physical locations. In a solid-state storage device, such as a non-Microdrive CompactFlash card, fragmentation does not impart additional delay, and is not the culprit for filesystem damage.

Fragmentation within FAT filesystems generally only occurs under situations in which the volume is at least half full, and then only if individual files are sporadically removed or deleted, leaving "holes" in the volume's usage - which the OS then subsequently tries to fill with a file too big for the hole, forcing it to split the file into multiple fragments.

However, frequently removed FAT volumes - such as digital camera storage media - are prone to accumulated garbage or corruption, such as cross-linked directory entries. If you always wait for the camera to finish writing, and you always use the OS's "safe" means of removal (on the Mac, drag it to the Trash; on a PC, click the green Unplug or Eject Hardware icon in the task tray) and wait for the OS to flush its write cache before removing the CF, you are unlikely to encounter such corruption.

As an example, I've got a Lexar 256MB 12x CF that hasn't been reformatted since May 2003, and has seen the majority of 35,000 images from my D70, and around twenty thousand from a Coolpix 995 - then replaced by a 4500 - all without the need for a reformat. The format in May 03 was only needed after I prematurely removed the card from the Coolpix camera.

So: I've written a book here, but the gist of it is that if you are careful, formatting is unnecessary. You do impart marginal wear by reformatting the CF frequently, but they're supposed to remap overallocated sectors, so that shouldn't hurt much; frequent formatting shouldn't cost you anything (unless you forget to transfer some images, at which point you'll be hating life), but isn't necessary.

Fragmentation is not harmful, is not likely to be encountered in a digital camera, and is not the reason for reformatting.
Chris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote