Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:44 PM   #1

Like being in the candystore, yeah, yeah. Will someone please tell me it aint that bad:-). I went out and purchased a D70 with a Tamaron 28-75: 2.8, to shoot indoor basketball . So how bad did I screwup?
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 7:51 PM   #2

That's the combo I was looking at using for basketball as well until I bought a D1H. Only thing that worried me about the D70 with the Tamron was the potentially slow focusing speed. The lens doesn't have AF-S equivalent technology and the D70's Cam900 system can have a hard time keeping up. At least it did for me when shooting indoor volleyball with my 50/1.8 lens.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 7:54 PM   #3

Iboughtthe same Tamron lens for my D70 and experienced poor focusing performance. Other D70 owners report the same with this lens. Somebelieve it's because of the short focusing throw of the lens. I really don't have an opinion on why because I don't know enough about the mechanics. I'd like to know how yours works @ f/2.8. IMO, for indoor sports, you may find 75mm limiting unless you can get fairly close to the action. If you got a good copy of this Tamron lens, you have an excellent set-up. I really like my D70. A couple lenses I found to be excellent and affordable are the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 ($100 new) and the Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF ($300 new). Good luck!
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:56 PM   #4

Thanks guys, a little insight can go a long way for me. As far as getting upclose that shouldnt be a problem right now, as I have been hired to shoot games for a local CCollege. My typeshooting didnt require anything long so I had to make a quick, reliable, economical move. I will definately relate my findings.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:32 AM   #5

Hi MurphyC,

I have to shoot indoor volleyball as well. And i did my first tournament last week-end with my D70 and the kit lens. It didn'tdo the job even at ISO 1600. I also tried my 70-300 G and as expected it was unusable. I am trying to have the budget approved for a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM.

Or I am considering a switch to the 20D before investing in F-mount lensbut i have read thatthe D20doesn't perform well with the Sigma lens. Any comments?

If Nikon could announce spec for the D100 replacement (specs must include ISO3200 with low noise + autofocus multicam 2000) then i wouldsurely stick My D70 until i can afford the next Nikon.

By the way, how the D1H is performing?
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:15 PM   #6

Morris,
I ended up using my 50/1.8 for volleyball since my other lenses were basically the same as yours. The 50 isn't a fast focusing lens, at least not on the D70, but I was able to get some decent shots by being patient. From what I've read the 20D is a faster focuser, but you also have to factor in the extra $500 (actually probably $600 since I believe the D70 has a $100 rebate now) plus the cost of switching over to Canon equipment. That cost, of course, depends on how much Nikon gear you currently have.
The Sigma 70-200 HSM would certainly be a good tool to have, and I'm hoping to get one this month. Usually I shot with the 50 right by the net, with the 70-200 you might be too close at the net and have to shoot baseline shots.
I got the D1H because it had the speed I need, actually cost less than a 20D, plus allows me to use the D70 as a backup camera. The D1H is supposed to get here today, though I won't try it out right away because I'll be charging and recharging the batteries first.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:36 PM   #7

After shooting with the D1H, let me know how much improvements (on focusing issues) you get with it.

Thanks,

Luc
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:47 AM   #8

I have been trying to use a D70 for indoor high school sports for several months, and it is not easy... you need the fastest lens you can get! I have had the most success with a 50mm f/1.8... go figure, the cheapest lens I have. The last few games I've been comparing the 50mm at f/2 vs. the 17-55mm at f/2.8... and usually at a higher ISO like 1600 vs. 1000. If you position so the players are coming directly at you, the focus speed isn't as big of a problem. The bigger problem is the very narrow depth of field and need to move to pan with the action... so I believe that most focus issues are from hand shake and DOF problems... more than focus speed... although there could be some of that. I just got a 50mm f/1.4 that I'm going to try at the next game. Its kind of a clunky lens, but we'll see how it does.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:56 PM   #9

bern, after more research (since I'm starting to shoot indoor bball as well) I'm thinking a good combo might be the Nikon 50/1.8 and the Nikon 85/1.8 lenses. With the current $80 rebate on the 85, you should be able to get both lenses for around $400 total. From what I've read the 85 is a faster focusing lens, but I don't know if 85 would be too tight under the basket or not. I only have the 50 right now so hopefully after tonight I'll know if I need to get tighter or not.
The advantage to two primes like that is you get 1.8 as opposed to 2.8, which will be quite helpful in most gyms. Also, the rebates mean the combo won't cost much more than a midrange 2.8 zoom. Plus both 1.8 lenses are pretty renown for their sharpness. :-)
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:07 PM   #10

Thanks Murphy. I picked up the 50 1.8 Wednesday. Maybe I can pick up an 85 Saturday or Monday. I peeped at the gym Friday, and just from visual theres no question im going to need at least a 1.8.