Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:11 AM   #1

One of my friends suggested that I inquire about what the cost of getting a Nikon setup that would compare with the Canon Rebel.

Here is my recent post on the Canon Lens site regarding my search.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

I am looking for assistance in matching up comparable lenses to the following Cannon lenses and body.

Rebel w/o Lens ($730 - $300 rebate) = $430
EF 17-40 4L USM ($640 - $75 rebate) = $565
EF 70-200 L ($560 - $75 rebate) = $485

I already own a tripod, extra batteries, charger, and a case. Am I correct that there is no way I can buy a new N70 with two quality lenses for $1480?

Thanks for your feedback
Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:14 AM   #2

um...just wanted to bring up a question...

wat kind of 'extra batteries' are you talking about? if they are canon or nikon batteries...they won't work with the other camera (canon's batteries won't work with nikon, and the other way around)

other than that...your Canon selection looks like a good deal to me (lol, i just bought a Canon 300D, so i'm biased )

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:47 AM   #3

My understanding the D70 is more flexible than the Rebel,if I'm reading the reviews correctly and is comparable to the 10D as opposed to the Rebel.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:48 AM   #4

I have 4 or 5 batteries from my Canon G1. They are the BP511 series battery. I know they would not work with the Nikon. Thanks for clarifying the mater. I think that I am bias towards Nikon, but can't justify the current price difference, with the current rebate program.

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:56 AM   #5

ImK..., I know that there are features that the D70 has that the Rebel does not have. Knowing that, and having a belief that the lenses play a huge roll in the quality of the photos, what would be the comparable Nikon Lenses to the Canon L series lenses?

I spent a good bit of time researching the Canon options and was hoping that some of you that know alot about both cameras could assist.

From my brief search it looked like I would have to spend $1K/lens on the pro-quality Nikon lenses? If I remember correctly the two L series Canon lenses list for around $800/ea. From what I have been able to find the discounts don't apear to be at the same level on Nikon lenses.

I would spend more for a Nikon, I am just looking to get a feel for how much more for the N70 and Nikon lenses that compares with the 17-40 L and the 70-200 L.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:43 AM   #6

A new Digital Rebel for $430? For real? :shock:
I don't know much about your current camera so I don't know if that battery and charger could be used with the Rebel.
Also, I read your other post about what you'll be shooting and I'm wondering how much use you would have for a 70-200 lens.
As for the D70 I believe the current going price w/kit lens (18-70) is about $1,200. For times you wanted a bit more reach the Nikon 85/1.8 (very highly rated lens) currently has an $80 discount which makes it about $300. There's also the 50/1.8 for $100.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:11 AM   #7

MurphyC,

Thanksfor providing information about the lenses. That is what I wanted to know before I finalized my purchase.

On the Rebel w/o Kit lens for $430 - there are a number of 'trusted vendors' that are selling the body only for around $730. If you buy two other qualifying lenses then there is a $300 rebate on the camera ($100 for only the camera, $200 w/1 lens or $300 with 3 lenses) - the rebates on the lenses also get tripled so instead of being $15 for lenses that list for up to $500 or $25 for lenses that list for up to around $1,000 they become $45 and $75 respectively.

Example of Canon Digital pricing for body only:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Digital_Rebel_EOS_300D_Body_only

Thanks