Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1

I purchased a D70 Friday and every thing was great - UNTIL I tried to DL the shots into my computer.

Guess What - Picture Perfect ONLY works with WIN98 SE and above. Silly me has WIN 98.

The NIKON Customer Rep was awesome- Email them Sunday Night at 8:00 and 10 minutes later I was downloading a new program that ALMOST worked. I needed Drivers! Another email and 10 minutes later I was up and running (Drivers are in the camera).

Now I'm reading the manual . . .over and over - each time catching littel things.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:26 PM   #2

Or you can use a card reader that would transfer images much faster than connecting the camera to a computer. But then you may have to worry about getting the correct drivers for Win 98 if those are not included with the card reader package - most companies assume you have XP and XP generally has the drivers already.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:11 PM   #3

I bought the ProMaster USB 2.0 but it is still giving me some problems. Still working out the bugs on that one!

Of course I only have Photoshop 3.0 on my HOME computer and when I gave my daughter $300 to get Photoshop CS (school discount) I forgot that I need WIN 2000 or greater - DANG - looks like new computer time in the spring . . . . after I get another lens.

I'm not sure what I want - a wider or longer lens then the 18-70. decisions decisions

Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:03 PM   #4

You really need to get a new computer. As cheap as they are these days, it is a total waste of time to mess with what you are trying to do. Assuming you actually get the software loaded, I can guarantee you that you don't have enough memory and disk to do anything. Image editing takes a huge amount of resources, particularly with a 6 Megapixel camera. I have a fairly recent P4 motherboard, WinXP, and .5GB of RAM in my computer and it was very slow working with the D70 files. I added 1GB of RAM to bring it into a usable state. It will be a futile effort to go down the path you are currently on. Sorry to be blunt, but I hate to see people spinning their wheels.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:30 PM   #5

LOL - I know. A new computer was scheduled for spring after I get back from the Virgin Islands. Needed a new camera first though.

I needed a new computer for Poker (it gets slow at more then 2 tables - I'm a semi-pro) but with Photoshop CS coming (I have 3.0 at home and 7.0 at work) I might have to move it up.

A golf buddy builds machines so . . . . .

Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:52 PM   #6

Hardcore digital SLR fanatics are hilarious. We invest in expensive photographic equipment before we invest in basic upgrades on our computers. No worries. I've have an old PC with an old version of Windows )98 I guess) at home. I've also got a D-100 hooked up to it. I use my camera more than my computer though, so I think my money has gone to the right place.
pennyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:53 PM   #7
Administrator

Personally, I like Win '98 better (and I had a very stablesystem using Win '98 SE before upgrading to XP).

XP is somewhat of a resource hog (to put it mildly), requiring more RAM and a faster CPU to run the same applications at the same speed that they were able to run under Win '98.

That's one of the reasons that you see much higher hardware requirements for Win XP versus Win '98 when you find applications that support both platforms.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:46 PM   #8

Win 98 and Win 98SE are the same OS. SEis simply bundled withthe various updates-and relabeled. ME is quite different. With those, whatever's holding the install up should work, if not, see if you can find the file it's looking for, then 'make' (name or rename) one to satisfy it. Sorry, I don't recallthe fileit searches for anymore. I hear you on the constant push to update to a more resource guzzling OS. I'd still use W95 if it had true USB support!:-)
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:35 PM   #9

Win98 is a six year old operating system. It tends to be universally agreed that two years is a lifetime for computers. So you're running something that's three lifetimes in the past!

Microsoft themselves have long stopped supporting Win98 so you're only ever going to run into further problems in future. Time to seriously consider upgrading your computer methinks...
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:11 AM   #10

Universally accepted? Wow.

IBM continues tosupport Windows 98 with purpose built drivers for their latest cutting edge T-42 laptop. Why? Because it works.

And my compliments to the D70! It took a brilliant photo of my fiancé, with a ten-year-old lens.:-)
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote