Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:18 PM   #11

I'll second that Bjane. Getting good wildlife shots requires expensive lenses if the results are to be pleasing. Without going to massive expense I would recommend a 2nd hand 80/200 F2.8 (cheaper option than buying the new 70/200) and adding a teleconvertor. The TC20E, which doubles the focal length, loses two stops but the new TC17E is being highly praised and would, in digital terms, take the lens out to around 500mm at the long end of the zoom for a fraction of the cost of a big lens. I have both the above lenses and the TC14E which for my purposes I find sufficient.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:36 AM   #12

You can get a really good 70-300mm G zoom on ebay for $100.

I like the lens - it's NOT a slow AF - it's certainly not demon fast but not slow.

It's a very good lens for a prosumer.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:58 PM   #13

I have the 70-300 G lens and personally i find it is a slow focuser. But...the image quality is quite acceptable. If you shoot STILL WILDLIFE it may do the job.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:02 PM   #14

Perhaps I'm just so tickeled at having ANY AF camera :lol:

I just purchased a 50mm 1.8 on ebay from $51 WOO HOO
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:46 AM   #15

BJane : As you toll me, I was looking here in Panama for some tele lens a found the Sigme 70-200 AF , the Tamrom 80-200 AF, and the Nikon Nikkor AF 70-300 f.4-5.6G. Can your tell me wath is better for the D70 ?? The price are not to diferent. But, I know I will need to proved, Can you help me. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:53 PM   #16

"I was looking here in Panama for some tele lens a found the Sigme 70-200 AF , the Tamron 80-200 AF, and the Nikon Nikkor AF 70-300 f.4-5.6G. Can your tell me wath is better for the D70 ??"

Carlitin,

I do not own the Nikon AF 70-300G... or the "ED" version, from what I read they are basically the same lens the "G" is made with a plastic mount and is less expensive. If you dont mind the quality issues andyou are OK with the optics (which are good not great)- the range is what you are looking for... go ahead and buy this one:New$125 +/- here in the States.

Tamron 80-200 AF ?... I do not know this lense. There are the Tamron 70-300 LD (and LD "2000") which have a slightly better user rating than the Nikon lense... but in this case I would rather buy the Nikon. (Tamron price in U.S. $150+/-)

Sigma 70-200 AF... there are two (i think only two), the "f/2.8 APO EX" and the "f/2.8 APO EX (IF) HSM" > I have tried the HSM and think this is a good lense, also the older EX is almost as good.You said that all of the lenses above, could be bought for around the same price... this Sigma is much more expensive than those others, if you can get this for a good price- I would buy this one and use a tele-converter (you'll have to ask someone else if a teleconverter is made for this) to increase the range. (Price for Sigma (new) 70-200 f/2.8 APO EX HSM: $700 +/-) Recommended if inexpensive.

Sorry I can not be more help... Over there in Panama, I guess you have to choose from whats available. But if you can get something that Works 1st,for avery cheapprice- I would start with that.

Bjane

~ I did a quick google search and found a "Tamron 80-200 zoomManual focus Adaptall LD"... didn't find out anything about it though.

Also Sigma makes the "70-300 f/4-5.6 APO Super" ... maybe this lense is what you meant ? You said they were all around the same price (new $175 +/-). I would get the Nikon instead.
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:57 PM   #17

BJane : Thanks a lot fo your guide , I went to the store and after proved, I got the Tamron AF 70-300 mm. f.4-5.6 LD, so, as soon as I can, I will star to take some pics. and send few, so you can see them and give me your opinion. Carlitin
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:32 PM   #18

BJane : This is a example pic. taken with the TAmron 70/300 full zoom. can you give meyour opinion ???... And HAPPY NEW YEAR ! ! !Carlitin
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:29 PM   #19

Well... looks ok? seems not as sharp ascould be, hard to tell where the focus point is. Were you in manual focus?

Please go outside where it's bright or use flash. try different subjects (such as a stack of books- indoors w/flash or good light).

What were the settings on the camera (exif)(iso, shutter, *aperture*, focus mode)?

The things you need to make sure of is that the AF works correctly, and that it focuses correctly... if you think that the lens functions as it should, everything else is will be down to your settings & technique. now Go take some pictures of those birds!

Happy new year Carl, have fun.

Bjane

~Please resize this picture to much smaller (for posting here) or use a 100% (or 50%)Crop... this will keep the picture(s) at a reasonable size, so that text in all the posts can also be read. If a picture is resized or cropped the quality of the image can be kept higher as well.
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:32 PM   #20

BJane : The photo information is Nikon D70, Jpeg-- 8bit fine, size--3008x2000. Exposure mode -- Auto, Metering -- Multi-Patter , 1/320sec.- F/4.8 . ISO--200. W/B-Auto, AF mode --AF-S. Color mode-- II Adobe RGB. Tone -Auto, Saturation--Normal, Sharpening-- Medium high.. I will continue taking pic. Thaks. Carlitin