Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:22 PM   #1

I am a new D70 owner. We take a lot of pictures of our one year old as well as action shots of triathlons. Currently we have the 18-70 kit lens. My wife wants a 50mm 1.4 for taking baby photos indoors while I want the 70-300D for the triathlon photos. With the crop factor would the 35/2.0 be better suited to her inside needs? Any comments on the 70-300D? Thanks.

Rick
phoneguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:16 AM   #2

I'm not sure why you'd want the 50mm lens when the 18-70 zoom already covers that focal length. Do you really need the extra speed from the lens? 35mm would be closer to what is considered a standard lens on the D70 due to the cropping factor. For portraits something around 80-100 was always considered better on the 35mm format so this would be around 50-65with the D70 sensor size.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:29 AM   #3

I'm not sure why you'd want the 50mm lens when the 18-70 zoom already covers that focal length. Do you really need the extra speed from the lens? >>>

I also have the kits lens. I added the 50mm 1.8. I use it for portraits with my new son. It's sharper than the kits lens and a faster lens is always nice. 99 bucks...for the lens. The baby was extra.

See pic

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/50tom2.jpg

Capt RB
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:24 AM   #4

Hi Capt

Can you please take same shot with F1.8 and without flash.

I'm really currios about if its worth it for buying additional lens, only for lower apparture.
misina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:30 AM   #5

I'm using 70-300G its much cheaper than 70-300D and it has same F numbers.

I never use 70-300D but I'm not happy with auto focus speed of 70-300G.

I mean AF is goodbut very slow.

Does anyone know the differncies of these two lenses?
misina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:43 PM   #6

There is bascally no difference in the D and G lenses optically - same exact lens.

The ONLY difference are
1. ED lens has metal mount, G has plastic.
2. ED has aperture ring, G does not
3. ED is actually made by Tameron.

The G lens (70-300) can be had for $97 so THEN you could get the 50MM 1.8 for $75.

Why would you want a 50mm over the 18-70? The 50mm 1.8 is SUPER sharp and fast. Face it - any zoom will not be as good and sharp.

PERSONALLY - I would buy both. The 70-300G and the 50MM 1.8. Bang for buck better then the 50mm 1.4 Just say NO to the 1.4. Cheaply made expensive plastic Chinese garbage. Go with the 1.8 and save some money. The filter threads are plastic and wear down real fast on the 1.4. They are metel on the 1.8

I would RATHER have the 70-210D the best inexpensive zoom on the market. but it's $300.

Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:11 PM   #7

Ditto, the two lenses are the same 'cept forbuild. I also agree the 50mm f/1.8 is overall the better one.

The Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6D AF seems to me to be average... not bad just not that great. I don't personally have this lense so I can't really say that I know but from what I've read, and from a couple of friends who had it- I had recommended to me the older (discontinued?) 70-210mm f/4 AF.

I do personally own the Tokina AT-X 242 AF 24-200mm f3.5-5.6, and for the money ($299 retail)I believe this is a superior choice... if you can handle it not being a Nikon. I know that it overlaps the 18-70mm but what the hey, it's quality inside and out is not in question. It is heavy and nicely compact, two things that I prefer- this is the budget lense that I normally keep on one of my D70s.

Bjane

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:26 AM   #8

Bjane : I like to get birds photo, and allways are in the top of the trees, and the Nikon 18/70 lens is not sopower to get them, can your tell me if the Tokina AT-X-242 AR, 24-200 has the clarity and good resolution for thath ?? Do your have some example ??or you know something better from nikon, with VR.Carlos, a new D70 user
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:30 PM   #9

Carlitin,

from what I have read on some birding sites, 300mm zoom seems to be the minimum telephoto range that most people use... I dont know this as fact, just seems to be whats normal.

The Tokina AT-X 242 AF 24-200mm f3.5-5.6 will work out to be: 36- 300mm (with the d70 1.5 crop factor). So I guess this lens could just barely work for you, certainly much better than the Nikon 18-70. The clarity/sharpnes/contrast is good with this lense.It is aspherical (like the Nikon 18-70),so it is compact... generally longer lenses perform better optically but this one does pretty well.

Keep in mind though, this lense is less quiet and is slower than theAF-S lenses, also many Nikon & Canon people would tell you that Tokina makes junk... this is just not true! Nowadays, with all the inexpensive plastic & third party lenses- there is junk to be found with all the brand names. Tokina made/makes some lenses which perform quite well. The build quality is usually superior to any mid/low range lenses from any company. Since most dealers do not carry Tokina, I doubt you would be able to try one out but you might get lucky.

I own three lenses from Tokina:AT-X 242 AF 24-200mm f3.5-5.6.... Tokina atx270 AFproII 28-70 f2.6-2.8..... and the Tokina 75-300 AF f/4.5-5.6(an older lense which I don't know anything about, and seems to have been available only in Europe). All of these lenses perform very well (optically) and are very well built.

I cannot enthusiastically recommend any particular 3rd partyor Nikon lense for your birding because they are all very different and your needs will be different and your pocketbook may or may not be all that- full.

At or above the 105mm (1.5X70mm) end of the Nikon 18-70mm, you will find that it is difficult to hand-holdfor the lower lightin birding so a monopod/tripod will be needed unless you buy a VR lense. I can monopod a sharp picture @ 450mmin normal light.

Bj

~I will post a pic or two with the 24-200 (@ 300mm.) tomorrow.

Here is a link I just found that might help you out:http://photosig.photographyreview.co...5_3128crx.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------~I went out and took some pictures @ lens setting 200mm(300mm D70)... and I would say that this is not enough for most bird pictures unless they are very close.

Using the 75-300 lense (450mm) was much better... Carlitin, try out some used lenses or zooms at a camera store, 300mm or longer.

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:41 PM   #10

I'm a new D70 owner myself (about a month), I had absolute zero experience with SLR cameras before. So my personal approach in buying lens is to find the best lens I can afford, then buy them second hand on eBay. (yes, i'm cheap :-) ).

I don't have any experience with the 50mm f/1.4. From what I've read lots of pro praise this lens for it's sharpness/contrasty, so I've even tempted to buy this myself, even now that I have Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8D AF (and the kit lens). But one question that I keep asking myself is, wouldn't I miss a zoom? A zoom will just make it very practical to compose a frame. So I think I would stick to my 35-70 for this purpose. Especially since this lens has good reviews in photographyreview.com, and I got it secondhand in mint condition for about the same price as 50mm f/1.4 new (about 200 pounds).

bulukucing is offline   Reply With Quote