Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:38 AM   #1

There are at least two settings to pump up the colors in-camera, which the D1H can't do. Set the saturation to + in the custom menu, and at the same time choose color mode IIIa, each of which bumps up the saturation.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:24 AM   #2
DBB

Is this a problem with the D1h?

Keep in mind that it's easier to bump up the color than correct to much saturation later...

If it ain't broke, don't pixalate it...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:52 PM   #3

It's not a problem - just an enhancement.

It depends if you want more deeper color in your shots. A lot of people tweek color - make it warmer and so forth in post production.

However - if it's coming out of hte camera already with more saturation it'll look better without the post prop tweeking.

You can't do it with the D1H if you wanted to.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:36 PM   #4
DBB

If you shoot RAW, you can do it later...
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:21 PM   #5

I think very very few people shoot RAW though.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:05 PM   #6

This is a good tip. I've used colour mode IIIa and enhanced saturation along with a low contrast custom tone curve (Provia_D70) for as long as i can remember, because I find the saturation very pleasing.

But I would caution shooters against using this for indoor pictures under mixed lighting. WB problems with differing light sourcescould get accentuated. If you want to disguise these factors, revert to colour mode Ia and normal saturation and you'll get wonderfully pleasing images. eg. http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=38

Everything in that gallery,I had tried using available light and presetting WB to match, but even with a 28mm f/1.4 wide open there wasn't enough light.Forced to use flashbut I didn't want the background to be rendered black. Room was lit with low temperature incandescent lighting. It was difficult to balance room lighting with the flash,and images were shown very orange backgrounds on my camera LCD. I shot raw and reverted to Mode Ia to save it. Just a hint of orange/yellow in backgrounds, but not nearly as noticeable as they were before.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote