Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 8, 2004, 3:16 PM   #1

1st experience with the speedlight!!

1. VERY new to the D70 but not to SLRs in general

2. going to a party at night - normal house lights - what do I set the camera at for best results of groups of people (very non-exciting pictures!!!)

ISO 200
18-70mm 3.5 lens

If I just use "A" setting and set the aperature 3.5 through 6 will there be enough ambiant light for the flash?

Are there guide lines on how to use this speedlight properly somewhere?? tips?
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:02 AM   #2

Well - I just put the dang thing on Autp and clicked away - shots came out great!

BAck to the manual LOL so must to read
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:39 AM   #3
TCB

I find setting the D70 to "P" while using my SB-600...the shots come out great.

:G
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:47 PM   #4

The SB800 is quite complex. You can do a lot of cool stuff with it, and I'd suggest testing it out at home when you have time and can experiment. I've tried the autopilot approach a few times and got good results, others and got bad. Here are a couple of things I've picked up lately that may help.... things I've gotten burned on.

It defaults to TTL BL when you first put it on... at least mine did. This is a fill flash mode, which isn't what you want if you are in low light. Hit the mode button to set it to TTL.

If you have a lot of existing light that you want to try to preserve, you'll get some strange white balance if you just set the camera's white balance to flash (which you need to do normally if you are using flash and don't want to set it with a grey card). What I discovered the other day is that if you want to preserve the natural incadescent lighting look, you can. Just take the amber colored gel and stick it on the flash head, and then set the white balance to incadescent, and you'll get a nicer look.

In a party type setting, I've had the best luck tilting the head 45 degrees to the ceiling and pulling out the white card ... then play with the angle and the card to see what effect you get. Also, if you are really close, use the diffuser. I actually, when around the house, usually use the diffuser dome pointed at 45 degrees... but in really low light that doesn't work as good...

If you want to really impress your friends at the party, you can take the SB800 off the camera and use it remotely. The easiest way to do this, I think, is set it to SU4 mode and it will act like a slave and flash when the on camera flash goes off. This works well to fill shadows and such. Or you could use the camera's commander mode and let it control the off camera SB800 without the onboard flash. This thing can do a whole lot of stuff... so experiment and have fun. It is as hard to figure out as the camera itself.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:46 PM   #5

Hi Convergent,

Thanks for the suggestions. You just solved my problem. I was using TTL BL at a hall party and the pictures were terrible, in addition to bounce. Yes, you are right, inexperienced. The bounce was a big mistake since the ceiling was high and a yellow color. I experimented the other day with the diffuser. What does that do? And when do you use TTL BL?

Thanks,

Nadia

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:13 PM   #6

Nadia - TTL BL would be suited for outdoors in sunlight, for use as fill flash.

TTL (without BL) is for when the flash is the only expected light source. When I bounce, I usually go in Auto Aperture (available on the SB800, not on SB600) as it gives me more consistent results. Keep in mind the ceiling isn't the only surface you can bounce off. Walls can work too (remember you can rotate that flash head any which way!), or even a white piece of paper.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:16 PM   #7

Hi Onyx,

I shoot some pictures yesterday and most came out good, some were dark with a red cast. I used TTL, aperture mode set at f8. The walls were red. I took the bounce off and those pictures came out better. at .7 EV, the faces had aglare. At .3 EV, they were slightly dark. I think I am going to try the diffuser dome since some of the pictures were harsh. There is a lot to learn. Also, I should have set the white balance on flash, it was on auto.

Thanks,

Nadia

Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:57 PM   #8

I just purchased the SB-800 and it is a bigtime flash. I thought my Metz MZ-54 was a doozy. Its so many features to the SB-800 that half of them seem in default mode already for my D70. Although I have just been experimenting, seem every kind of setting is the right setting for the perfect picture.I even get good exposure shooting fill flash indoors. the SB-800 and D-70 is like a marriage made in heaven.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:19 AM   #9

Hi Bern,

It is a good flash and I am happy I got it. I think I try too hard to get prefect pics with the correct color balance and lighting, which b/c of the physical enviornment may not always be possible. I deceided no more boucing in large rooms with high ceilings, I don't seem to do well with that. I am having fun. Enjoy your camera and lighting.

Regards,

Nadia
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:17 AM   #10
fh

Hi Onyx,

What will the auto aperture setting do on the SB 800?

(I know this feature is only available on the 800)

Thx,

F.

fh is offline   Reply With Quote