Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:40 PM   #1

What's wrong with the Nikon D70?

Well, as some of you have noted, I returned the Nikon 8800 for the superior D70. But no way is the D70 a perfect camera. In just a few days of shooting I've found plenty to complain about. Some of it can't really be fixed by upgrading. Some of it can.

I think the fact that the D70 doesn't have a flip out LCD is just plain silly. How this very valuable feature was omitted from DSLR's is beyond me. The flexible LCD means you can shoot at angles/heights where a finder won't let you.. Of course you CAN'T USE the LCD as a finder anyway!!!! Are they kidding with this? Yes, I know the physics preventing a preview LCD…but STILL!

Once again the focus assist light in were fingers rest. I'm not sure where else to put it, but it's always a problem for larger hands.

The D70 has no battery grip available. This is bordering on nasty marketing from Nikon to protect their more pro oriented cameras. It's a pretty lame thing to do.

I'm sorry, but the D70 CAN BE SMALLER. Period.

The enter button for menu selection is a SEPARATE button, rather than a centerpiece to the 4-way selector. Poor ergonomics.

Can someone please tell me why the viewfinder data display times out so quickly? Can't it be set to just stay on? Sheesh!

I feel that the pop-up flash mechanics are every so slightly cheap…just an impression.

The D70 finally missed focus on something. I was focusing on a dish of milk at the center (doing water drop effects) and 1 of about 50 shots didn't lock. The camera blocked the shot. Not sure I like that.

The strap that ships with the camera is pretty abrasive.

Guess what…remember shutter/mirror slap? This baby has it in spades. Has yet to cause a problem, but I could live without it.

The D70 is the best digital camera I've owned. Frankly, I had no idea how good it was when I bought it or just how big a leap it would be from Prosumer type cameras. It's a constant happy surprise each time I use it. It gives all of the fun of a real camera with the near-instant gratification. Still, there's tons of room for improvement. Here's a sample from some of my first shots with the D70. I'll be posting more.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/50tom2.jpg

Cheers,

Capt RB
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2004, 5:35 AM   #2

The answer to one of your problems is the metre off setting in custome settings. This can be set up to 30 minutes and determines how long the viewfinder display remains on. Not the most obvious description for the setting I'd agree.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:17 AM   #3

The answer to one of your problems is the metre off setting in custome settings. This can be set up to 30 minutes and determines how long the viewfinder display remains on. Not the most obvious description for the setting I'd agree.>>>

You're right!!! Thanks....set fo 30minutes. I can't imagine it'll effect battery life much. I've have the camera close a week and I have yet to charge the battery a second time.

Capt RB
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:18 AM   #4

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:
The enter button for menu selection is a SEPARATE button, rather than a centerpiece to the 4-way selector. Poor ergonomics.
I don't like enter buttons in the middle of those round selectors, I always press them by accident.

Quote:
Can someone please tell me why the viewfinder data display times out so quickly? Can't it be set to just stay on? Sheesh!
It can, the measurement system can be set to stay on.

Quote:
The D70 finally missed focus on something. I was focusing on a dish of milk at the center (doing water drop effects) and 1 of about 50 shots didn't lock. The camera blocked the shot. Not sure I like that.
Did you try out the different focus options? Like nearest object, dynamic and single focus field?

Of course there's always something to do better but I think for the money it's really a great deal. I don't buy a Mustang and complain that it isn't as good as a Porsche. There are reasons why pro DSLRs cost as much as they do, just like the Porsche, right?

By the way, this should have been posted in the DSLR section, no?

;]
hueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:36 PM   #5

With any type/style of camera there are inherent advantages and disadvantages. If gadgets like flip out LCD screens are a high enough concern, get a point and shoot. If even a relatively light and small DSLR like the D70 with no battery grip feels too big, get a point and shoot. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are certain things a DSLR can't offer that a point and shoot can offer. Either the advantages to a D70 outweigh those features or not.
BTW, aren't complaints about the D70 being too big and no battery grip somewhat contradictory? After all, wouldn't a battery grip make a camera bigger yet? :?:
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 6:08 PM   #6

Sorry to be so blunt, but there are certain things a DSLR can't offer that a point and shoot can offer. Either the advantages to a D70 outweigh those features or not.
BTW, aren't complaints about the D70 being too big and no battery grip somewhat contradictory? After all, wouldn't a battery grip make a camera bigger yet?>>>

1st, I love this camera. I had bought a Nikon 8800 and wasn't impressed. Now that I have the D70, I can't believe that I ever bought the 8800 to begin with!

But.....I would like to see a camera like the D70 shrink a bit. The grip complaint is valid. When you need it, it's nice. Added size is not a factor since they come off. As for the flip out LCD, this would be a great feature on any SLR. I understand the design barriers involved, but it's still a nice feature. I'd like to see that feature problem solved and absorbed into the DSLR range if possible.

Capt RB:O
Old Dec 12, 2004, 9:16 PM   #7

Capt,

I agree with Murphy. The D-70 any smaller and we're talking point and shoot. I never prescoped the D-70 before I got it, so I had no idea of its size. When I got it my first impression was it was smaller and lighter then I expected. What possibly could make this little squirt cost that much. Well although I dont have large hands I do wish there was some moreof it to grip.

I think these perceptions are based on previous experience with camera size. After 20 years of basicly Mamiya 645, I welcome this smaller,lighter, human brain in a box.

My previous digial was the Olympus E-10. It is a very nice camera with a flipout LCD. But the D-70 is so freakin nice that I never even considered the fact thatbecause itdoesnt have a flipout LCD that it is susceptible to flaw.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:09 PM   #8

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:

But.....I would like to see a camera like the D70 shrink a bit. The grip complaint is valid. When you need it, it's nice. Added size is not a factor since they come off. As for the flip out LCD, this would be a great feature on any SLR. I understand the design barriers involved, but it's still a nice feature. I'd like to see that feature problem solved and absorbed into the DSLR range if possible.

Capt RB:O
I would have to disagree with size comment on the D70 here, this camera is on par with most of the dslr's on the market today. In fact my D70 is only slightly larger than the F801 that i have been using for the last 12 years or so. Its very obvious that you have never had the opportunity to use a Nikon F4s or and F5 film camera, those are "big" cameras, and heavy to boot.

The flip out LCD seems like gimmick on lesser cameras, and definately not needed on a DSLR with an eye level viewfinder. Many of the required shooting settings that would be changed on the screen (white balance, iso, etc.), can also be done easily with the command and subcommand dials as well. I cannot truly think of one reason why this camera would need a flip out screen.
Dezine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:00 AM   #9

The flip out LCD seems like gimmick on lesser cameras, and definately not needed on a DSLR with an eye level viewfinder. Many of the required shooting settings that would be changed on the screen (white balance, iso, etc.), can also be done easily with the command and subcommand dials as well. I cannot truly think of one reason why this camera would need a flip out screen.>>>

How about shooting on the ground, or overhead? Sure, they make right angle finders for some occasions, but the flip out would still be welcome at times. A lot of features can be called "gimmicks" but that doesn't mean they can't come in handy. I remember when AF was called a gimmick.

Capt RB:|
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:52 AM   #10

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:

How about shooting on the ground, or overhead? Sure, they make right angle finders for some occasions, but the flip out would still be welcome at times. A lot of features can be called "gimmicks" but that doesn't mean they can't come in handy. I remember when AF was called a gimmick.

Capt RB:|
Wouldn't that would mean making the LCD a viewfinder also?
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote