Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:49 AM   #1

Ya get a new D70, your all pumped about it and want to show and tell, yet - all you get in return are glassy-eyed stares and the "how many mega-pixel" question.

You can't explain about white balancing, or fast auto focusing or lack of shutter lag or shutter speed or the many ISO speeds.

What are the buzz words these people need to hear to understand your excitement.

All I can do is say - "it's the camera with the RHINO on TV" THEN there is a glimmer if hope . . . but it fades.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:46 AM   #2

Ya get a new D70, your all pumped about it and want to show and tell, yet - all you get in return are glassy-eyed stares and the "how many mega-pixel" question.>>>

I have to say...you're right. I had a brand new Coolpix 8800 a few weeks ago. Some of my friends were more impressed with that. 8 MP!!! Vibration reduction!!!! Movies!!! It's like stereo gear. Some folks are fine with a Bose Acoustamass all-in-one home theatre in a box. Others want seperate hand chosen amps, cables and speakers. Is there a difference? You bet.

I sent my friends pics from both cameras and the ones from the D70 get all the compliments. It's pretty tough to explain the difference in versatility to a novice and many folks have adapted to what prosumer types can't do. You just don't realize how great no-shutter-lag is until you take a DSLR into your hands. Now I could NEVER go back. I also have a brand new Pentax Optio S5I. It also has shutter lag and is quite limited...but it's also smaller than a credit card so it gets excused!

When friends ask me what the diff is between the D70 and my now departed 8800, I simply hold up the D70, take an instant pic and say, "This camera can capture the moment." Of course the D70 does much more than that, but I really think that in itself is plenty.

Capt RB
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:56 AM   #3

Completely understand... tell them the sensor in you camera is much bigger than theirs :G Unless they have a full frame DSLR, or shoot film :-)
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:23 AM   #4

How to explain it to non-camera people?! You don't. Join a forum like this one where it's easier to relate to other D70 camera people.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:21 AM   #5

Don't get me started on Bose people (leave that for the HT forum) LOL.

Take a look at this subwoofer taken with my 1.3 mega pixal Olympus LOL - OH - I do have new speaker stands now.

Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:32 PM   #6

I understand the problem. It's like getting your first camera all over again.
budmc is offline   Reply With Quote