Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:51 PM   #1

I just bought a D70. I uploaded a custom curve- White Wedding (aka Point & Shoot) using Nikon Capture and also made changes in "Optimize Image" "Custom" to Sharpening +1, Tone comp. +1, Color Mode II,Saturation enhanced,Hue -3 and increased EV to +.3. Did the changes negate the custom curve or are all the changes and the curve working at the same time?
tominrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:20 PM   #2

I didn't even know there were custom settings you can download - where???
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:23 PM   #3

Go here http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/custom_tone_curves.html# and read tutorial on curves then go here http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/downloads.html and download fotogenetic_correction_curves_v4.zip and use Nikon Capture Editor to upload the "point and shoot" curve to your D70.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:28 PM   #4

tominrom, your tone comp should not be +1, it should be on 'custom' reflecting the use of the custom curve. Tone comp of +1 is higher than normal contrast, and will generally lead to harsh looking pictures esp under sunlight.

Also, do not initally set your EV to +0.3, as the white wedding aka. point and shoot curves apply +0.5EV throughout the range to counter the less than ideal midtone brightness.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5

Thank you! I am still learning how to set this camera up. I was disappointed with out of the box "auto" settings. How about the "hue" at -3 and saturation at enhanced? Better yet, let me put it this way, If I shoot in P,A,S,M modes what settings should I use under "Optimise Image" to get the best results? I know I should shoot in "raw" but I don't like to have to do a lot of post processing. Any/all help will be appreciated.