Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:04 AM   #1

Hi,

Newbie in D70 here.

I have a D70 for a week now and after one week I allready have 1Gb extra space occupied on my PC.

I was wondering if anyone as any suggestion's on some piece of cheap software for organizing and archiving the images.

Thanks to everyone,

Pedro
nogas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:20 AM   #2

You could delete the shot you will never look at again!!

Of just use Windows Explorer and put them in folders.

Perhaps I do not under stand the problem.

Honestly - if you have a Gig filled in one week . . .you gotta just let some shots go. Typically I keep 10% AT MOST of all pictures I take.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:47 AM   #3

Hi again,

Peharphs I should explain better my problem. I have only a laptop with 40Gb disk. It as a CD-ROM reader-writer. Is there any software that anyone used and can recomend that can keep track of Keywords and data from my fotos even when I delete them from the computer and write them on a CD-ROM?

I was wondering if i can have a database of all my fotos on the computer and the actual images on a collection of CD-ROM's.

Thanks again,

Pedro
nogas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:23 PM   #4

Not sure if ACDsee 7 will do what you want. It does have an archive to cd/dvd feature.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:27 PM   #5

I have used Adobe Photoshop Elements for some time now and like it a lot. Now that Elements 3.0, which combines an organizer (the former Album), a quick editor, and a more sophisticated editor (bits of the real Photoshop), they have a very nice product.

It sorts by date or topic (that you specify for each picture. It has a great downloader that will auto-name a new folder (date+time), and insert the pics into Elements. I find it works well with my SanDiskcard reader (another bit of advice).

It will download and open Nikon Raw files (NEF). Once opened for editing, but it doesn't not save them as NEF - you'll have to save them as another format - TIF, JPG, JPEG 2000 (I like this losslessformat myself), or the native Photoshop format. That is OK with me though.
StatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:49 PM   #6

I use ThumbsPlus , it has everything the others have and if you know SQL (database language) you can query the database in this language.Visit their site here:

http://www.cerious.com/

Good luck.

Só depois é que eu reparei que és português...
Bom Ano.

zematima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:29 PM   #7

Welcome to the digital world. Where 40gb hard drives are much, much, too small. There are several issues at work here, the first being how to catalog and index. But, that will quickly become almost moot, as you will certainly run out of space on that meager 40gb drive I currently have (for photos) an internal 80 gb for my "recent" work and2 250gb externals for "storage". Also, a dvd writer to archive. My system:

Directories by year, then month, then type (birthday, christmas, etc) Each "event" is keyworded in several ways (depending on your software). Photos are unloaded using Downloader Pro. Each shoot is achived to dvd(s) and duped on the external drive. (Once you get a bunch of hard drive storage happening, you realize that a crash will kill you, so archive & backup is very important) The main 80gb drive is the work drive.

Once the external drive is full, you get another one While the keywords are certainly helpful in the beginning, once things get archived off the HD, you are left with the dvds I have seen a cd holder that takes about 100 cds/dvds, connects via usb and has software to index the contents, then you insert into a numbered slot on the holder. (motorized) Was on Tiger Direct, but can't seem to find it now...
dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:34 PM   #8

IMatch is considered the Photoshop of archiving programs. It is one of the few that keeps thumbnails and records of shots after you move them to CD or DVD. I think it is around $50. Not as easy to learn because of all of the capabilities.

A copy of Thumbs Plus fell of a truck a couple of years ago and I use that. I wish IMatch had been available and that I hadn't been so cheap. I have to make contact sheets of the images I move to CD. It is hard to change over once you start using a program, so choose wisely.

I have read that DVD was designed for movies and doesn't have the error corrections that CD has so it can show the movies faster. I was going to transition to DVD for my images but am having second thoughts.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:34 PM   #9

OhOh, I had not heard this. Ihave already gone down the dvd road.:roll:

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I have read that DVD was designed for movies and doesn't have the error corrections that CD has so it can show the movies faster. I was going to transition to DVD for my images but am having second thoughts.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:25 PM   #10

I've used ThumbsPlus for two years, and am very happy with it - easy to catalog and do some basic editing. I'm just starting to use Phothoshop Elements, and like that too. Whatever you get, make sure it can handle Nikon's version of RAW files (NEF). I had to upgrade to the newest ThumbsPlus (ver 7.0) in order to have that capability.

Good luck.
verbier65 is offline   Reply With Quote