Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1

Happy New Year everyone

All over Xmas I've been trying to decide which DSLR to buy !!! - my local camera store is currently offering an excellent Xmas sale price on the D70 with the 18-70 lens and a 512mb CF card all for £729 here in the UK. With the 28 - 80 lens plus CF card the price is just £629.

I was looking at the 300D but now that the store has reduced the price of the D70 then the D70 would appear to be the one to go for.

I've read loads and loads of posts on the D70 within these forums (a great place of knowledge), plus I've read lots of magazine reviews. My main interest is Sports Photography (Rugby) andthe D70's continuous shooting mode appeals to me (as does the price). I see that the latest magazine's rate the Canon 20D very highly but that's another £450 which seems a heck of a lot more to pay.

My current camera's arethe Olympus E100RS and the C2100UZ.

On the back of my Rugby photos I was asked to shoot a wedding which I did usingmy current camera's (I did explain this to the bride & groom before hand). The results werein myopinion and thebride& groomwere extremely pleased (printed off 6 x 4's and also 8 x 10 prints).

I'm now being asked to shoot some more weddings on the back of what people have seen.I know that I really do need to step up my camera's and supposedly the quality of moving to DSLR should be nothing short of outstanding.

Now down to my question .....

Are there any forum members out there using a D70 to shoot weddings and are they (and more importantly the bride & groom) very pleased with the photos taken. Has anyone a website where I could look at some wedding photos taken using a D70 or a gallery with a mixture of Photos taken using the D70 ? - I've seen the ones on Steve's D70 page.

I've read that the D70 can suffer from noise at anything above ISO 200, however, reading one magazine review (Digital Photographer Issue 19) they gave the camera 10/10 for Quality of results and said that the results were "nothing short of breathtaking - almost no noise". High praise indeed.

Would this last statement be true for those with the D70 ?

Lastly, has anyone used both the 18 - 70 lens and the 24 - 80 lens ? What's your thoughts on the picture qualityof these lenses ? The 18 - 70 appeals to me from a wide angle point of view but then the 28 - 80 has the extra focal length. If I buy the latter I save £100 and could put this towards a second lens.

The camera itselfsure looks the business and feels great to hold andit seems to ooze quality.

I suppose I'm trying to ensure that I spend my cash buying the right camera (well for this year at least) as I enter the DSLR world

Have a great 2005.

Brian
stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:08 PM   #2

Happy New Year Brian

Well I would rather not respond to most of what you've talked about. I'll leave that to others. But noise at iso200 seems to be a case of extreme photographer misshandling to me. Ive shot indoor sports where I have had touse iso1600, but with minimal noise. And a little Noiseware software took care of that like the photo was shot at iso50.I havent shot a wedding with my D-70 as of yet, but im extremely anxious from what my photos look like from my experiments. The ease of versatility with this camera is phenomenal. The wireless signal for its speedlight flash SB-800for studio control is something out of the future.

Actually I didnt get the kit lens, because my main purpose of shooting with this camera at the timewas indoorsports. So I purchase rather fast lenses. In place of the kit lens I got the 28-75/2.8. I also picked-up and 85/1.8, and the lifesaver 50/1.4. And I had madeup my mind to get a comparable Nikon film version camerasince I purchased the lenses. So my money is definately directed to probably a 70-300, and F100 in the future. The D-70 has definately sold me with Nikon regardless.

I havent done it yet, but I believe this D-70 with my lenses can get me close to an almost no flash, natural light wedding.

bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:00 PM   #3

Get the kit lens (18-70mm). It is really superiorcompared tothe 28-80.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:10 PM   #4

18-70mm is a GREAT lens and the word "kit" should not be associated with it.

The D70 will fit your needs - it's a beauty!
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5

As you can see the 28-75 Tamaron aint bad eitherPlus its a 2.8 across the board and I just love that. Then again its what you need it for. This lens covers alot for me with the dynamite D70
Attached Images

bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:27 PM   #6

Many thanks for everyone's comments and the photo. I've deliberated long and hard as to which camera to buy and I've finally gone and taken the plunge:-).

I'm now the proud owner of a D70 with the 18 - 70 lens. I've just arrived home and put the battery on charge and I'm about to have a read of the Getting Started guide !!!

Already I'm wondering what my first shots will turn out like - however, as it's now 5:30pm here in England and it's raining & dark outside it looks as though it will be a few indoor photos this evening and the full outside experimentation tomorrow - it feels like Xmas all over again:lol:- I feel like having a celebration drink

stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote