Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:15 PM   #11

Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for the links.

I'm like you, very new to this DSLR world. With my previous digital camera's it was just a case of point and shoot but I found the shutter lag way to slow and the motorised zoom took ages to go back and forth, hence the move to the D70. I've only had it 4 days and like you I wondered if I'd done the right thing when I saw my first shots. However, I've been avidly reading the Nikon SLR and Lenses forums, I've bought myself a SLR Photographic book andgot some out of the local library too .

DOF, apertures and shutter speeds are all new to me.

I've been messing around with the in camera settings this evening and found that the difference you can get from changing just a few parameters can make quite a difference to a photo.

Here's two photos of a coffee jar that I must have spent the best part of 2 hours taking photos of as I changed parameters, made a note of what I'd done and then changed the parametersagain and again and again :-)to see what effects took place. The first photo is the camera default on auto, the second photo is with my latest lot of changes

Brian

Attached Images

stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:00 AM   #12

Hi Brian,

It's amazing the difference once you get the camera off Auto! Thanks for sharing the pics. I did the same thing using my husband as a subject until he had enough then I had to move on to baby toys. Sadly I have about 100+ pictures of a baby swing.

What photographic book did you buy? I think that's my next step, after figuring out which editing software to use.

Thanks,

Kirsten
kbksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:12 PM   #13

Hi Kirsten,

The book is ... The Photography Bible by Daniel Lezano

I would say that it appears to be a beginners book as it covers talking about digital & film,choosing a camera, flash guns, accessories, talks to you about how a camera is made up etc before then moving on to talking about basic techinques DOF, Shutter Speed, Focusing, Metering systems, over exposureetc and then onto taking images -portraits, nature, sports etc. It suited my beginner needs as I knew nothing apart from pointing and shooting acamera before buying the D70:-)- Plus it was fairly inexpensive at £12.99

I've found the links youposted very useful. I've started to read them and I'm sure that they will help.

Regarding editing software I'm currently using Paint Shop Pro 8 but I've just bought Pro 9 and I will load it later this week. There was an offer on at PC World and the software was at half price so I couldn't resist buying it

I'll look forward to seeing some of your photos.

Brian

This DSLR business is a whole new world and it's certainly very intersting especially when you
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:16 PM   #14

Kirsten ... I was going to add some extra comments about the exciting interesting world of the DSLR butI didn't but when I postedmy reply I'd forgotten to delete the start of the last line !!! - - next time I'll make sure I preview a post before I send it