Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1

:? I'm afraid I'm way out of my league with my new D70. I'm new to SLRs in general, nevermind this camera. Just as many have noticed I found my pics underexposed in the Auto Mode. After the initialshock of seeing those pics and wondering if I should have stuck with a point and shoot, I've done some re*****h and found the very helpful Newbie site you have posted here several times and followed the recommendations to shoot in P mode. I'm contemplating downloading custom curves but am I correct in understanding I have to post process in Nikon Capture, that PSE2 won't recognize the curves? Do I have to shoot in RAW only? I guess I'm trying to avoid purchasing Nikon Capture....

Thanks for the help!
K
kbksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:09 PM   #2

Hi K,

You are following the same path many of us new to the D70 have already trod. Initially I found my pictures too dark and underexposed too. Apparently Nikon errs on the side of caution - with post processing you can draw details out of an underexposed area but you can never recover details from an over exposed area (blown highlights). I guess if you are a pro you don't want to explain to the bride why her pictures are washed out. Given the way the camera is set up by Nikon we can either always make exposure compensations or load a custom curve. That's what I did.By the way, they are easy to load. If I remember correctly the one I loaded was "Point & Shoot v 4.0" from the photogenesis (I think) web site. It works great for me 90% of the time. There is this other web site where someone actually posted the same picture taken with each of the free curves that are available so you can compare them. If I find the link I will repost it here for you. The differences get to be so subtle you go blind after awhile trying to see them. The three issues with curves are: 1. You must have Nikon Capture to load them. (foo on Nikon for that). 2. You can only have one in the camera at a time. (Not a problem if you load a generalized one.) 3. You can't tell which one you've got loaded if you forget. (Just reload the one you want if in doubt.

If I were you I would shoot in RAW. But, my understanding is, and someone will correct me if I got this wrong, that the curve settings apply to all your shots in P, A, S and M mode regardless if they are RAW, jpeg, tiff, etc. So you could load the curve, shoot jpeg and still edit your pictures in PSE2.

I just upgraded to PSE3 and love it. I strongly recommend it. And PSE3 will process your D70 RAW files. I don't like Capture that much and I hate Picture Project. You're right you would still need Capture to change your curve.

So if I were you I would get the 30 day free test version of Capture. Load some different curves until you find one you like and then stick with that curve for awhile. Shoot in RAW, upgrade to PSE3 and use it post process your pictures. When and if you ever decide to change your curve you can always buy Capture then (or maybe download another trial version J).

As a side note: I had trouble at first adapting to a DSLR. It get easier. The D70 is nice in that you can control everything and it is quite consistent. You will find that the more you learn and the more you put into it the more you will get back. Hope this helps.

Bernie
bernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:57 PM   #3

Bernie, thanks for your help! I was thinking along the same linesin loading the curve with the trial version of Capture. I'll have to check out PS3. I think the curve will also cut down on my post processing as well, which is nice with a two year old and 7 month twins.

Again, thanks!
Kirsten
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:51 PM   #4

That's exactly the reason I loaded the same curve. Try to cut down on post processing. I'm new to this camera also. I shoot mostly in JPEG, the Raw format is too time cosuming at this point and time. Maybe I'll grow to appreciate it. To my eye, the difference is slight, when comparing a good JPEG and a Raw processed photo. Their are plenty of people on this site that would disagree. The curve works good in JPEG format, without using Nikon Capture. Rich
Rich V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:22 PM   #5

Kristen and Rich,

It took me forever, I have too many saved links, but here is the link to a page that displays the same shot taken with almost all the different curves:

http://forum.mastersphoto.net/viewtopic.php?t=26

I forgot to mention that I finish up by running my files through Neat Image. It doesn't take long and the results are just amazing. The program isn't that expensive and once you see how well it removes all the noise without loss of detail you will swear by it too. You can get by without it for ISO 400 and below but above that you will see a difference. I think they have a free demo version. Try it.

The number one reason I switched to RAW and love it is that you never have to worry about the white balance. It doesn't matter what the camera thinks it sees in auto. It doesn't matter if you forgot and left it on flash outside on a sunny day.

With PSE3 you can see and download the RAW files, edit the ones you want (it has this great photo compare feature where you can put two versions side by side and move them around in synch) and then save the keepers to jpeg or tiff or whatever. Finally quickly run them through Neat Image. It sounds longer and harder than it is.

I just find RAW gives you a second chance to get that picture you really wanted even if something went wrong when you took it (incorrect white balance or the exposure was off a bit). It can't save the really bad ones.

There are so many great, informative sites out there. But be sure to check out www. Nikonians.org. It has lots of good advice regarding Nikons.

Last but not least it has been raining and snowing a lot lately. Check out this inexpensive rain cover to keep your new baby dry: www.photosharp.com

Bernie

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:50 PM   #6

Darn, I spelled that rain cover link wrong. It should be: www.fotosharp.com

Sorry.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:03 AM   #7

:-)Bernie and Rich, thanks for the posts and information! Wow Bernie, awesome links and feedback. I appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll have time to load a curve today.

Kirsten

(Edit) Bernie, quick question for you... I read somewhere that you can adjust white balance with Capture and not PS3. Do you know if this is correct or have y ou been able to adjust it in PS3?

Thanks!

Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:50 PM   #8

Photoshop Elements 3.0does provide white balance adjustment.

It provides automated and manual WB adjustment(temperature & tint) when a RAW file is edited.

PE3's Quick Fix also provides automated and manual color adjustment (saturation, hue, temperature, tint) for both 8-bit and 16-bit color files.
StatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:04 PM   #9

kbkbsmom - can you post the link to thenewbie d70 site that you've found and like - thanks.
stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:23 PM   #10

Stixbri,

Sure, here's the one I was referring to earlier:

http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/lessons.html

And here's one I just found. I'm not sure how new you are, but Iam new to SLR photography in general and found this very helpful in explaining aperture, depth of field, shutter speed, etc. I read through a few chapters on Friday, played with the camera in Aperture priority mode over the weekend and am very happy with my results so far. In fact, its the first time since I bought the camera I'm feeling like I didn't make a mistake!

http://209.196.177.41/contents.htm

Hope those help some.

Kirsten