Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:12 PM   #11

Don't blame the camera, it's operator error. The camera doesn't take the picture, it merely processes what you point it to see, and how you've set it up to process. If you're not prepared to learn the functions and settings of the camera "off auto" then you will be much better served by the $300 camera. It's as simple as that.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:24 AM   #12
fh

Upalms,

Don't give up. D70 is a great camera when you start understanding it and understanding SLR as a whole. Bear in mind that winter indoor kid pictures is among the most difficult situation: low light and frenetic moving subject..

I had the same problems when I started to take shots of my daughter with my D70.

Then I slowly started to better understand my lenses, flash (SB800) and simple exposure techniques. They will also be situation where you won't get a decent shot and that's purely because of the combination of low light, moving subject and/or desire to not use flash or higher iso.

Taking young kids pictures is almost as hard as raising them....but don't forget the pleasure you will get when catching the 'perfect moment'...

I attached one of thelow light indoor picture of my daughter that I am not too unhappy with. I am seriously not sure I would have been able to get a similar shot with a P&S without the use of a flash.

Hang out there, don't give up, we are all here to help you and this is a great camera..
Attached Images

fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:21 AM   #13

Might want to make sure you don't have Auto ISO ON. here is a definitive learning curve with the D70.

The D70 is like a PC and the smaller cameras are like MACs.

With the D70 you can do all sorts of things but you need to work and mold the camera to your liking. TheSmaller cameras are real good but all you can do is point and shoot. No additions like different lens, filters and so forth.

PC you can add RAM and different cards, APPLES or MACs are static - no additions.

Now I will get my morning coffee and stop rambling.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:44 AM   #14

I'm not familiar with the D70, but it is after all a SLR type camera that has a different type of lens as compared to the simple point and shoot cameras. Due to the different lens/aperture geometries and shutter speed settings...the simple point and shoots can usually get everything into focus (large depth of field), while you may have to pay more attention with the SLR camera lens to get everything into focus. This might be the reason for the blurry pics on your SLR.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:48 AM   #15

I forgot to say...maybe you can check out information about depth of field and things like that on the internet..

eg..

http://www.vad1.com/photo/autodof.html
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:05 AM   #16

Grinder,

I hope you know more about cameras than you do about computer brands.

Apparently you have no knowledge about Mac computers or their different model types.

I guess I'll have to remove all that extra ram and that AGP video card plus the new controller for my hard drives from my Mac tower. :lol:

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:48 AM   #17

Hello Up ... don't despair ... I just got my D70 two weeks ago and am head deep into the learning curve and there are many terrific resources both on-line and in print to help us with that ... ... but this notwithstanding, I've been taking many pictures indoors (with just the built-in speedlight) and out using both the full auto setting and Program Auto setting with more than acceptable - and some cases excellent (see my first and only posted image of my only son below ... this was taken in full auto setting, then ran through some quick fixes in PSE 3)... ... I can't wait to master the nuances of the manual adjustment settings!

Good luck!

Harry

http://www.pbase.com/justharry/image...665&exif=Y
justharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:34 AM   #18

Did Upalms ever come back to this thread?

I have relatively little to add to the comments above. For indoor people shots, my favored technique is to point my SB600 flash directly upwards and bounce it off the ceiling (here's hoping your ceiling is white). The Auto setting (with the white balance set to either flash or auto) should do a fine job,and to avoid grain you should use the menu and set the ISO rating to 200.

Secondly, read the instruction manual. All of it. The D70 (and any SLR for that matter) has been designed togive a lot of control to the photographer, and in that respect is totally different from the point & shoot that does everything itself. If you are not prepared to take the time to learn about the settings and experiment, then this is probably not the camera for you.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:36 AM   #19

justharry wrote:
Quote:
*snip*(see my first and only posted image of my only son below *snip*

Good luck!

Harry

http://www.pbase.com/justharry/image/37873665&exif=Y
You're not human? !!!! hmm .. men in black.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:23 PM   #20

LOL - I'm a typical PC guy that looks down on APPLE/MACs - . . . . except my daughters laptop is pretty nice.

Sorry - you have to remember that I'm from the old school and actually remember the 1st APPLE computer and Pong!

I'm also a software/mainframe guy!
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote