Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:55 PM   #1

I recently received the d70 as a christmas gift, we have waited to buy lenses until I figure out just the right lenses to buy.

I am leaving for Africa for the peace corp in June and thought this would be anice addition to the trip.

I was wondering if there was much difference between tameron, sigma and Nikon. And which would be the best choice for lenses if i were going to buy two lenses?

Thanks
ekdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:25 PM   #2

Depends on the budget. I went with a 70-300G zoom for about $135, a 50mm 1.8 for $65. Then a Vivitar 100MM macro for $100. all off ebay.

With that array you are covered for all wide angle shots and can zoom out for the long shots. You will have a Macro lens for close up of termite colonies and a 55mm for low light situations.

Make sure you get a CIRCULAR polerizer for the different size filter threads. Probebly a good idea to get a Neutral Density Filter for bright spots. They you set :-)

Get a 2nd set of batteries (they will last unused for 10 years).

Nikon makes the best len's in the world, hands down.

Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

thanks a lot, I have been checking out ebay quite a bit, it seems to be the way to go. I will be using the camera for everything from long landscape shots to trying to catch that sly gazelle in running across the plains... so i thought it would be nice to have a variety. Thanks for your help, so my assumption from that was go with the nikon?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I guess I am trying to understand major differences in the different company lenses and if they are enough to hinder me in one direction. I was told sigma and tameron are both similar quality..
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:28 PM   #4

Yup - Nikkor lens are great and there are some REAL expensive ones but some not so also.

They say people buy Nikon not for the camera but for the lens's. Nasa uses all Nikon len's. The only non Nikkor is that Vivitor Macro that is way way to sharp for the price.

GO with the 70-300G lens - not the ED - same optics just slightly cheaper made. People cpmplain about the slow focus but it's all relative.

I've never hada problem with ebay since most places are real business's anyway.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:14 AM   #5

Just about all lenses manufacturers make some great and some not-so-great lenses. Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Tamron, everyone.
As for what two lenses, it depends on your needs and what you shoot. For a general starter kit you could get the kit lens or one of similar focal length (for example, a Tamron 2.8 28-75 goes for about $300), a Nikon 50 1.8 for about $100 (gives you the 1.8 for low light situations plus for not much more than used you get a new one with 5 year warranty) and a 70-300 zoom like the Sigma Macro Zoom II 4-5.6 for about $200.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6

What's your budget for lenses, and what would you like to be able to shoot? What lenses do you already have?
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:00 PM   #7

I just purchased the 18-70mm ED off of ebay yesterday. ($260.00)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Iam not very familiar with slr cameras nor accessories (including Lenses), as this is my first SLR. I was quite surprised when I received the D70, as I thought i would be getting just a 35 mm SLR for christmas..... WHat a nice surprise!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have been wanting an SLR for a while, I have a digital but it just obviously can't always capture what I want. So i am self teaching myself all about SLR's now, and I am finding out just how much I need to learn - i know i have a long way to go, but it has beconme a passion now!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So i will be bringing it to africa to use there, I have joined the peace corp and will be using it in not only the village and with certain projects but I will primarily be using itto image the nature and the world of Africa. I have been looking into the 70-300mm ED, or G Nikon, or the 75-300mm tameron. As for price range, I would like to keep it under $300.00. I have heard many speak of the tameron and how similar it is to the nikon, and how there truly arent many differences..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Again i am new to all this so i am looking for any advice which may help.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for your reply
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:37 PM   #8

I've recently bought (4 days ago) theTamron AF28-300m F/3.5-6.3 XR Di lenses for my D70.

Here's a link to the post which has some examples of the photos I've taken with it.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

I'm hoping to improve upon the telephoto sports shots that are within the thread. The more recent two examples of close up Depth of Field shots were taken after me having my head in the manual tonight as I practiced this technique.

Brian
stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote