Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:47 PM   #1

Hello All!

I currently own a Minolta Dimage 7hi. I have been using that camera pretty much on semi-auto or full manual for the last year and a half. I'm looking for a professional DSLR or the closest to it since I don't have a budget of $5,000-$8,000 for a camera.

Do any of you know of any bad things thatI need to be aware of on the D70? I tried reading some of the D70 posts here and the issues people have are things compared to a point and shoot. I'm NOT looking for a point and shoot. I need a little more professional opinion from owners of a D70.

I recently had the D70 for about 3 days and I took about 100 shots of a 2 year that was high on sugar over Christmas andpractically none of the pictures wereblurred - to me that means, it a fast camera and it responds well. I'm aware that I can't use the LCD panel as a viewfinder - I read somewhere that there are no DSLRs that have that feature, not sure if it's true or not.

If any of you have any important cons, please let me know.

Thank you in advance
newbieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:21 PM   #2

small things fall off and you can't lock the mirror up for taking long exposurs.

Besides that it's the best camera under $4000
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

Grinder, what do you mean you can't lock the mirror up for long exposures?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4

For long delicate exposures it's always nice to lock the mirror up so there is less vibration in the camera. Even on a tripod the act of the mirror flipping up CAN cause blurriness (if you're real picky).

You can lock it up for cleaning but not for time exposures. It will GO up but you can't lock it up BEFORE you take a picture.

Also - take fishing line and run it through the little hole in the plastic monitor protector. Then run in into under battery door. That little sucker WILL rub off sooner or later and they are $10.

Other then that - it's great. I took thos close-up the other night
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:39 PM   #5

Awesome...thanks Grinder.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:44 PM   #6

Nothing big but lowest ISO rating is 200. Doesn't bother me but it might for someone else.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:08 AM   #7

Focusing speed can be a tad slow with non AF-S lenses.
Noise can be noticeable at higher ISO settings.
As with any DSLR, there is always the chance of getting specs of dirt on the mirror when changing lenses.

Grinder--what are you talking about when you say small things fall off? I haven't had anything fall off mine after more than 30,000 shots. :?:
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:35 AM   #8

Caliboy, I agree..the ISO setting could have at least gone down to 100.

All good points from everyone. Thanks guys
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:06 AM   #9

The protective cover over the back monitor will fall off sooner or later and the rubber eye piece will rub off with bulky winter coats.

Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:03 AM   #10

newbieX wrote:
Quote:
Hello All!

If any of you have any important cons, please let me know.

Thank you in advance
There are, of course, bunches and bunches. For example:

Plastic Body, ISO 200 min, Rather dumb initial settings like auto ISO, Plastic thingy on back can fall off, EV just a bit too conservative on default setting, Non grip side of body too smooth and rounded to get a good grip on, strap is narrow, sensor exposed to dust when changing lenses, the lack of mirror lock up thing, remote not included with camera and no cable release capability, no battery grip, USB interface is slow, some often used settings buried in the menu system, the lenses I really want are expensive, Mode dial gets inadvertently changed easily, separate (easily lost) viewfinder cover rather than internal switched cover, sensor not 35mm size, moire, yada, yada, yada.

And still, I bought one. It's affordable, reasonably priced for the capabilities provided, and IMHO, beats the competition. It's one heck of a nice camera that I expect to get years of use out of.

Cheers, Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote