Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:57 PM   #1

I recently bought a D70,my 1st DSLR. I am interested in wildlife/bird photo's and am looking at long zoom lens such as the Nikon 80-400 VR. Is there any problem hanging a heavy lens on the D70?
tominrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:08 PM   #2
kex

tominrom wrote:
Quote:
I recently bought a D70, my 1st DSLR. I am interested in wildlife/bird photo's and am looking at long zoom lens such as the Nikon 80-400 VR. Is there any problem hanging a heavy lens on the D70?
I don't have experience with heavy lenses yet, but if you're refering to the weight of the lense, I guess there won't be any problems.
You'll have to hold the lense and not the body and use a tripod which can hold a lense. But IMHO you won't have any other problems with heavy lenses.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:43 PM   #3

I see no reason why not. I use one on a D-100 with no problems at all.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I must tell you, however, that I'm of the "old school" and was taking pictures back in the late forties. By the early fifties, I had a Leica IIIc, but we were shooting color slide film at ASA 25 speeds, so it was imperative to hold a camera steady. I was taught to hold it tightly with my right hand with the camera braced against my nose and left check, using the left eye through the viewfinder and the left hand supporting the lens, and, with a really slow shutter speed, your left elbow tucked into your gut plus a momentary holding of your breath. I learned it that way and still do it that way today. The result is that I have always had quite good luck taking pictures at shutter speeds lower than most are able to do.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have two Nikon VR lenses, the 80-400 and the "fabulous" 70-200. I don't use the 80-400 too much.....however, it is one of those things that "when you need it, you really need it!" My only gripe about it is that it hunts and seeks too much when autofocusing, so I sometimes even turn it off and manually focus the lens. But, the VR on both of these lenses is amazing. Combined with my camera holding technique, I have taken good pictures with these VR lenses at full telephoto at shutter speeds as slow as 1/8 of a second. Obviously, the VR works!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you don't really need a 600 mm equivalent focal length, and can do with 300 mm instead, go for the 70-200. It is, without doubt, the best lens I ownl And it focuses lightning fast. I've never had to turn off the autofocus on the 70-200.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The attached photo was taken on a small pleasureboat cruise of about 50 miles to Marietta, OH. We put into the docks at the Ohio River Island Federal Nature Preserve for a restroom stop, on a rainy day, totally dark cloud covered sky, in a narrow channel with trees all around, and very low lighting. This was taken with the 80-400on my D-100and a very slow shutter speed, as I recall, about 1/15 second, only.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I tried to get the bird in flight as it flew past our boat, but is was just a blur because of the slow shutter speeds, but then it roosted on an old log and I got the picture.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Attached Images

commodoredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

Thats the kind of photo I want to learn to take!!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:36 PM   #5
Tik

I use a Sigma 170-500 and it hangs off the D70 OK but you would want to take the weight with an arm as you don't want that weight on your neck.
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 2:30 AM   #6

At a game on Tuesday I swapped lenses and put the Nikon 80-200 on my D70, no problems.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:07 AM   #7

I have a Nikkor AF 70-300G that nice and light - same optics as the 70-300ED - only $134 on ebay!
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:29 AM   #8

My main concern was stress on the camera and camera mount fromthe 3 -5 pound weight of a long lens. I do a lot of walking in the woods and along river banks. I am interested in the 80-400 VR because I don't want to carry a tripod unless really necessary. I guess IfI carry the cameraproperly it won't be a problem. My other camera is a Nikon 990 and it could be carried in a belt holder.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:29 AM   #9

I think its just a matter of common sense. When I use the 80-200 f/2.8 lens on the D70, I generally carry it by holding the lens when I'm walking around. But, if I'm standing there doing nothing talking to someone, I'm not afraid to let it hang by the standard D70 strap. Some people I've seen get straps that can be attached to the lens tripod mount, but I think its a matter of just using good judgement. Considering that some of the Canon's have plastic lens mounts, I don't think you have too much to worry about with the D70.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote