Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:37 PM   #1

Nikon Capture wasn't included with my D70. I am thinking of getting it to work with RAW files. ANyone have any opionions on it? Wayyyy more reasonable than Photoshop CS.

It aslso says you can teather your D70 to your computer and control it from there. Interesting.

6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:14 AM   #2

I like it. I wish I had been shooting RAW since day 1. It would have saved a few shots I took when the camera was new. I actually prefer capture to photoshop. It has everything you really need for image adjustment, it doesn't have some of the manipulation tools that PS does, but for just adjusting white balance, exposure, sharpening stuff like that I have been very pleased.
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:20 AM   #3

Does it include features like "lens filters" too add a little diffusion?

Also where is a good place to purchase it? Thanks!
6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4

I just purchased a D70, and it came with the Nikon Capture 4 software for a trial evaluation. There are 2 different programs, one is for editing pictures, and the other program allows you to control your D70 from your computer. The camera control program is real slick, you can take shots from your computer keyboard, and see the image at the bottom of your viewfinder on your computer screen. You can also change the camera settings from your computer.
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:02 PM   #5

Im ordering mine through B&H, Its 99.95.

If you havent ordered there before you will be pleased,great service,great prices and very reliable.

Laney
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:24 PM   #6

I faced the same issue, and ultimately decided to buy NC4.

I use PSP 9 as my principal photo-editing software. Although PSP 9 can handle the D70's raw files, certain things I had read, in this forum as well as others, suggested that NC did a better job. In fact, several users suggested that most typical photo-editing functions could be accomplished easier and equally effectively using NC, and that they only used Photoshop/PSP for minor tweaking thereafter.

I just recently received NC, and although my experience is somewhat limited given the fact that I have had the software less than one week, I'm not sure I would completely agree. In my opinion, it is far easier to adjust white balance using NC than at least PSP (I can't speak for Photoshop). Furthermore, I think it is much easier to adjust white and black points using NC than in PSP.

However, in my opinion the digital noise filter in NC is far inferior to that in PSP. In fact, for some reason, when I open my raw files in NC, I seem to have much more noise than when I open raw files with PSP. I don't know why this is. In any event, PSP seems to do a much better job of reducing noise. I also find that color adjustments are much easier in PSP -- the workspace and tools are more functional, and the end result is better.

One reason to purchase NC is to load custom curves into the camera. This was one of the principal reasons I purchase the software, although I have read somewhere in here that other programs are currently under development (at a fraction of the cost) that will do the same thing. I have yet to try any custom curves, though I intend to do so in the near future.

So if I had to do it all over again, I would probably still buy NC -- just be aware that it has limitations and is in no way a substitute for a quality photo editing program. That's my two cents, anyways.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:18 PM   #7

I recently bought NC 4.1 and three days ago I upgraded it to version( 4.1.3). I think it's an excellent tool, especiallywhen it comes tothe tonality and contrast adjustmentsusing the Curves function. Plus the Colour Balance that allows you to make essential colour corrections. Also, image sharpness can be enhanced using Unsharp Mask.
Random noise that appears in some imagesimages particularly at higher ISO settingscan be effectively minimised using the Noise Reduction function. Also, You can remove dust on the image with a Dust Off function. Fisheye lens image transformation also allows you to convert images captured with anAF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED lens to normal ultra-wideangle images.

Finally, I was very impressed by theDigital DEE (Dynamic Exposure Extender) that helpsme to reveal details in shadows and highlights. For me it's worth the money I paid for it.

Khaled J
Khaled J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:14 PM   #8

I was olso disapoited, when i didnt get whit d70 program for NEF.

Now i work whit CI PRO, bUt i wont work whit Capture 4..- Nikon, I have Win XP and have problems

:blah:
petmaj is offline   Reply With Quote