Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:14 PM   #1

Im getting ready to purchase the D-70 and was considering which extra lens to buy.

I love macro and I also need a telephoto lens,well Tamron has the AF28-300mm f/3.5-6.3,,its the xr Di LD aspherical (if) macro. Tamron list' this lens at over seven hundred bucks, B&H photo has it for $300 with a small rebate.

This sounds like a great lens and in my price range,anyone here have any comments for me?

Laney
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:50 AM   #2

No one else has commented so...

Since youwill be newto the d70, and you said "extra" lens I assume you will buy it with the Nikon 18-70mm.

There is not much for anyone to say because one's lensneeds, is highly personal asis expectations. I can't speak for anyone else but I think you'd be best served with the kit lens and some other telephoto, starting @ 70-80mm through 210-300mm. For the money you'd spend on the Tamron you couldeven get a nice fixed f/2.8 tele used.

For wider angle there isn't much out there, and all of it is expensive.

Some people buy the d70 without the kit lense but usually it's because they already know what specifics they need or want, or they already have the lenses. I have two 18-70mm (please don't ask me why) but never use them. I do use lots different primes up to 105mm, and tele zooms from 75mm-100mm. One of my take everywhere lenses is a 24-200 zoom.

You will probably know more accurately what you need- after you use your d70 for a little while... my advice is avoid the 24-300mm untillater. For a lenseto get that type of zoom range requires sacrifices in performance which may not be what you want to be stuck with right now.

Bjane
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:30 PM   #3

I have just purchased one of these Tamron AF28-300m F/3.5-6.3 XR Di lenses for my D70. I've only had the D70 for 4 days and I needed a telephoto lens as I shoot Sports photography and I needed a lens for close up shots as well as distance shots. I'm on a limited budget and therefore I chose this lens though I was going to get theNikon 70-300ED but the shop had none in stock,however being able to get down to 28mm (42mm on the D70) better suits my needs.

I've had the 28-300 lens for 2 days now, I'm finding that my shots are somewhat dark though this is probably me as I'm still learning the D70 and I'm trying to experiment with different settings.

If it helps at all I've posted 4 photos for you to look at - one at 82mm, 195mm, 375mm and lastly 450mm (I've taken into account the D70's 1.5increase on focal length). The camera was on a monopod, again this is only 4 days old, I bought it with the D70 and I've never used one before :-)

The only post processing I've done on the photos is to crop the photos to 600 x 399 and to lighten the contrast.

Like I say I'm still learning on the D70 and this lens too and hopefully my photos will get better as I understand more about shutter speeds, aperture settings and the like.

Brian
stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:31 PM   #4

Example at 82mm

Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:32 PM   #5

Example at 195mm

Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:33 PM   #6

Example at 375mm

Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:34 PM   #7

Example at 450mm

Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:13 AM   #8

When you post image. Post them with the EXIF info so that we can better understand the context where the picture was taken.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:34 PM   #9

How much EXIF info should be posted ?

I've just had a quick look at PSP8 image info

Example at 82mm, F4.5, 1/200, ISO=Auto

Example at 195mm, F6, 1/80, ISO=Auto

Example at 375mm, F6.3, 1/80, ISO=Auto

Example at 450mm, F6.3, 1/100, ISO=Auto

I know that I was shooting ISO=Auto as I'd underexposed the day before and I thought that I try out the ISO=Auto setting and use the Sports mode. Next week I shall experiment using either the Shutter or Aperture setting, I don't know yet until I've read more about how (and when) to use which of these settings.

Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:16 PM   #10

Here's some additional close shots using the Tamron 28 - 300 as I've been busy trying to understand and learnthe Depth of Field technique.

I'm hoping that as I experiment and learn more about how to use a DSLR my longer range shots (as posted earlier) will improve significantly. I shall be trying out more telephoto shots this coming weekend.