Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:52 AM   #1

Having trouble with the Program mode. From what I've learned, if you have the mode in P and let the camera meter (press the shutter halfway), then under Program mode you can rotate the main command (mc) dial and and playwith aperture size and shutter speed, whilethe camera holdsthe exposure constant. I attempted this and rotated the mc dial, but the aperture and shutter speeds didn't change (didn't see any changes in the bottom of the viewfinder).

Also, I put the mode on Shutter Priority, and supposedly when you rotate the mc dial, it changes the shutter speeds, but it didn't change them. It did open up the aperture in Aperture priority but didn't let me snap the picture.

I'm using the kit lens, correct me if I'm wrong, but its a CPU lens, so it should work for P, S, A modes.

What newbie mistake am I making, please tell olearned ones? :-)
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:02 AM   #2

Hi:

My D70 in Program mode works fine.I press half the button and when I move the dial (back one) I can see the aperture and shutter changing in the view finder. (to see this you must press first half the shot button). When I change to A and I move the front dial the aperture changes and so the shutter, but if I move the back dial the aperture remains the same, and the shutter changes (always press first half the shot button). Changing to S, moving the back dial I can see the shutter speed changing in the view finder.

My sets are:AF-S;area mode single;AF assist ON;Command Dial OFF (CSM MENU n.º14 - this one is important - see the manual)

Good luck.
zematima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:42 PM   #3

Hmmm...let's see

First and foremost, did you try to rotate the Main Command Dial (on the rear of the camer) or the Sub Command Dial (on the front of the camera)?

If you did rotate the Main, check to see if the #14 setting on the Custom Menu is set to Off. If it's on, the Sub Command Dial becomes the "Main" Dial. Make sure it's set to Off.

Also did you try turning the dial both ways? Turning the Main Dial to the right increases the shutter speed, but the aperture may be at it's smallest F-stop number (2.8 for example), so settings can no longer be changed.

Start there and see what happens.

TomSawyer wrote:
Quote:
Having trouble with the Program mode. From what I've learned, if you have the mode in P and let the camera meter (press the shutter halfway), then under Program mode you can rotate the main command (mc) dial and and playwith aperture size and shutter speed, whilethe camera holdsthe exposure constant. I attempted this and rotated the mc dial, but the aperture and shutter speeds didn't change (didn't see any changes in the bottom of the viewfinder).

Also, I put the mode on Shutter Priority, and supposedly when you rotate the mc dial, it changes the shutter speeds, but it didn't change them. It did open up the aperture in Aperture priority but didn't let me snap the picture.

I'm using the kit lens, correct me if I'm wrong, but its a CPU lens, so it should work for P, S, A modes.

What newbie mistake am I making, please tell olearned ones? :-)
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:39 PM   #4

You may also want to try Aperature Priority (A) mode. I leave the camera in this mode almost all the time, because then you can preset the Aperature you want to get the depth of field you'd like for you photo... then the camera will adjust everything else. You can manually play with the Aperature and ISO to get the shutter speed you want.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5

Thanks for your notes. I was aware of the #14 CSM, it was set to NO from the very start. I played arounda bit, now it's working fine in A and S modes.

But no progress in P mode. I hold the shutter release halfway down, it meters the shot, and then I rotate the main command dial, tried both ways. Aperature and shutter speed don't move.

A couple of things I have questions about:

1) Once the camera is turned on, you can rotate the mode dial anywhere, and it seems to work in that mode. Someone's telling me that it's best to first turn the camera off before any mode dial changes and then turn it back on. Any credence to this?

2) In A mode, you can change the aperature even when the shutter is not pressed halfway down. What's the difference between changing the aperature while the shutter is halfway down or not pressed at all? meteredin the formerand not metered in the latter?
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:35 AM   #6

Do you have the most recent firmware update? Check out the Nikon website.

Have you had anyone take a look at the camera? I find the people at Ritz Camera helpful. Maybe you have a similar store near you.

Can you provide the actual numbers you see when you're in P mode?

Now for Question 1: No. You do not need to turn off the camera before switching modes.

Question 2: As long as the display in the viewfinder is active, you do not need to keep the shutter release button pressed halfway.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:00 PM   #7

Could it be that the lighting is poor? In that case then the aperture will be set to the lowest f-stop and changing the command dial won't present you with any more aperture/shutter speed options.
sabaisabai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:53 PM   #8

That's basically what I stated in my first post regarding aperture/shutter.

:|
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:14 PM   #9

zematima wrote:
Quote:
My sets are:AF-S;area mode single;AF assist ON;Command Dial OFF (CSM MENU n.º14 - this one is important - see the manual)
Hi,

I am very new to SLRs. If you don't mind can you explain to me why you chose these settings?
Also what page is "(CSM MENU n.º14 - this one is important - see the manual)" this on in the manual. I wll also try to find it too.

Thanks,
Wilbur
KingCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10

Hi:

I'm also a newbie at the D70 (got it in the end of December)

The AF-S in the single mode (you can change to AF-C which is the continuos mode)

You can have the single area to shoot, the dynamic and one other i don´t remember.

The CSM Menu 14 controls the way the back and front dialer work. For instance if it is on you can (this is an exemple, i don't have the manual near me) change the aperture with the front dialer in A mode but if it is off you can do the same thing but with the back dialer insted of the front one.

But the first thing I did was read the manual, because it has a lot of controls.

zematima is offline   Reply With Quote