Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:31 AM   #1

As an owner of a digital compact (which I agree makes general photography a breeze, despite its drawbacks), and a good film SLR. What I cant stomache is the limitations (slow startup speeds, zoom, focus and shooting speeds, etc) of a compact after being spoiled on an SLR when I want to do some real photography...

So Ive been wanting to upgrade to a modern D-SLR.
Ive not been overly impressed with the Canon D300 reviews, and thought the D70 close enough to been film-equivilent to keep me from needing to upgrade for afew years...
so Ive been holding out for the next generation Nikon D70...

Now that Canon's released the D20, any idea when (and what it will be!) the next Nikon prosumer D70 replacement camera will be coming out..!?

I figure if they could take their current camera - add ISO-100, improve the CMOS abit (for high ISOs), and make it 8Mp then I'd be set for quite afew years...!

Im guessing its probably not due until later this year....
but I guess!?
:?:

many thanks,
Mark
mark_ditton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2

Mark, you said...

What I cant stomache is the limitations (slow startup speeds, zoom, focus and shooting speeds, etc) of a compact after being spoiled on an SLR when I want to do some real photography...

Not sure what you mean by "real photography". It's probably a personal thing for each of us. Unless you're a pro, in which case you'll want to shell out as much as you can on a DSLR, you can get some "real photographs" with a digicam like the 8800. With its (well documented) limitations it's still a capable camera.

I've learned, after 24 years of PC usage, that you can't worry about what's on the horizon. There's always something more and better. It's not corporate greed as much as rapid technological innovation.

A year ago I bought the Digital Rebel which, at the time, was the breakthrough DSLR at that price point. Although I now take my 8800 more places, I've gotten my money's worth with the Rebel. Next the D70 comes along and claims the title. But, we now have Canon's superior 20D for just a few hundred more.

With my $2,000 investment in Canon lenses, flash, etc., I've got my eye on the 20D. Meanwhile, I can still take "real photographs" with my Rebel, as yesterday's shot of a gull grabbing food shows.

Walter

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

By the way, Mark, I also got some good shots of gulls with my 8800 a week or so ago, as shown on the "8800 and Shutter Lag" thread on this forum.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:11 AM   #4

Killer eyeball, Walter!!!
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:17 AM   #5

Just my opinion of course, but I can't see the D70 being replaced in the next year... next year Nikon's priorities are D100 replacement (D200 ?) and a D2h replacement (possibly 8mp to rival canon 1d mkII)... and also to meet demand for the D2X as Nikon are notorious for not being able to get enough new stock into stores on time.

Also, I get the impression that Nikon make a point of not bringing out new models every year to make current models 'obsolete' (for want of a better word) in direct contrast to Canon.

Just hypothesing though !

Thom Hoganhas someinterestingpredictions for Nikon's DSLR lineup in 2005.... makes interesting reading :-)

http://www.bythom.com/2005dreamdslrs.htm
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote