Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:42 PM   #1

I seem to have a problem using the D70 for taking pix of snowy scenes. Either they've come out overexposed, or simply lack enough detail and oomph (what's the tech word for that?). Has anyone successfully used any particular white balance, contrast, curves, or other settings? Bracketing seems to help. How aboutCS techniques?

Coldbut shooting in NYC,

Michael
its_goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:44 PM   #2

I just tried this out my back door. Set the white balance to Shade result slightly yellow, warm. White balance Sunny, result definite bluish cast. White balance Cloudy, result nice neutral balance. And think this makes sense because color temperature is similar: cloudy day more red is absorbed hence light is bluish, snow I think does the same thing.
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:07 PM   #3

hey there
i shoot canon, but the same techniques go here...

what mode are you using for these?
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:42 AM   #4

Here we go:

The trick with snow scenes is to render the brightest portions of the snow white without wiping out all trace of detail. Set the aperture to f/16 and the shutter speed to the reciprocal of theISO speed: with ISOset to 200, use a shutter speed of 1ΒΌ 200. Of course, you can use any shutter-speed/aperture combination that results in the same exposure. But wait, what lens you're using?

Overcast days and snow go well tegether. You can set your aperture to the smallest setting, (f-22 if if have it), and meter the snow that's evenly lit. Whatever shutter your meter recommends, double it. This will over-expose the snow by a full stop, which on a cloudy day, should render it white.

I think an all-white photo isn't very interesting. You can add visual interest to your snow photos by positioning someone in colorful garb in the scene. This also adds human interest, generally a good thing. Try the shot both ways, with and without the person/people, and see which works best for the particular scene and sure your D70 can be experimented along with your photography skills.

regards,

Khaled J

NIKON 4 EVER
Khaled J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:18 AM   #5

I've found success by setting the EV +2. with Cloud as WB (if you do not use the PRE).

I have Cloudy ALWAYS even when it's sunny. Gives a warmer image.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:20 PM   #6

khaled and grinder,

thanks for your input. i've jotted down khaled's notes for my outing today to the Meat Packing District (no jokes please, I've hear 'em all :G). And grinder, I too seem to prefer the warmer settings.

It's coming down like mad now. Hope you all in the northeast are keeping warm and having fun outside.

Best,

Goldie
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:01 PM   #7

UPDATE

Thanks again to Khaled & Grinder. Went out yesterday during the blizzard, and today with clear skies, and got some great results. Found that using 'shady' as the white balance delivered slighly yellow snow...no, not that kind. but this was easily corrected, and found that erring on slight underexposure worked great, as the contours and details of snowdrifts etc. show up great, while the darker subjects can easily be kicked up a notch using the midtone or shadow adjustments in photoshop.

cant wait for the next blizzard. everybody with me?!!!

g.

Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:35 PM   #8

What kind of temperatures were you working in? I'm a little paranoid about taking my D70 into 15 degree F weather.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:01 PM   #9

I live in Canada and i never got any problem shooting in cold temperature. I shooted at temperature up tu -15 Celsius (close to 0 Farenheit). So get out.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:33 PM   #10

I've on another forum that a Canadian had mirror lockup at -30 F although he did say the camera did thaw out.