Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:33 PM   #11

Just fooling around with the internal on auto. Little great nephew just minding his business. Bit soft, but when you're at that age it doesnt matter if you're a boy or a girl
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:38 PM   #12

This shot was done with the SB-800 not quite 45degree. Just the 1 flash.
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:46 PM   #13

Apologize on the first photo. Website stop responding.
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:18 AM   #14

Let me put in a vote to get the SB-600 (you don't need the 800 as it's overkill for 95% of D70 owners). I got one on ebay for $200.

The flash with camera is . . . OK but red eye, the blink problem and so forth I got the external flash nad love it - so easy to use.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:15 PM   #15

Hi Grinder,

The blink problem is not eliminated by the external flash. In I-TTL mode you will still have the pre-flash that cause some people to blink.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:34 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am starting to think that maybe I changed some setting somehow, and now it is affecting my flash photos. Has anyone tried restoring their camera to the factory settings? Is there a downside to that?
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:53 PM   #17

There's no harm in re-setting to default settings ... I've done it more than once after loading curves and not being impressed with results ... ... but I have to tell you that I've taken a bunch of inddor shots with built in speedlight and they are more than acceptableand, in some cases, very good ... ... but I'm aiming for excellent, so I just took delivery today onmy SB-600 ($189.00, USA Version on Buydig.com) and can't wait to use it ...

... good luck!

Harry
justharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:51 PM   #18

If you're shooting in auto, the flash will tend to meter the closest possible thing reflecting light back. In many cases, this will render the scene and/or subjectunderexposed. If you switch to Program mode and spot meter your subject, you'll end up with better exposed subjects.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:07 AM   #19

Rutgers,

I think I have located your problem. If you were messing around with the settings, you probably switched the internal flash to commander mode. Once in commander mode, the oncamera flash will not illuminate the pictures. If you havent already goback into the menu, and go to #19 and make sure its set on TTL.

If the store people told you that you needed an extra flash they were just trying to make money off of you.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:17 PM   #20

crazydrummer wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Morris. I use only the internal flash and it's awesome! Very good results and outstanding fill in flash. Try adjust WB auto o incandescent to -2. Yo will get more warm indoor photos.

I just upgraded to a D70 from my p&s camera a few days ago and have been experimenting. I was getting poor quality indoor shots with the default settings as well... and I adjusted my white balance the way you recommended, and all my whites looked blue

I know I have lots to learn (waiting on my d70 ebook to arrive), but do you have any other ideas?
will0957 is offline   Reply With Quote