Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:33 PM   #1

Hi folks...First time poster. I am addicted to my D70, so I hope to be around a lot.

I am a newbie in the world of photography. I bought the D70 to take photos primarilly for my web site, as well as family photos. Here is my problem.....My indoor photos look horrible, even with the flash. I mainly shoot on auto with the lens that came with the kit. They look bad whether I am at ISO 200 or 1,600.

I took the camera back to the store, and without even looking at it, the guy said that the flash is not meant to be used for anything other than fill lighting and that I would have to purchase an additional flash. I was confused, since I am not talking about photos in very dark rooms or from far distances. I have had trouble in well-lit rooms when I was a few feet away from the subject.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

John
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:52 PM   #2
TCB

Pick up the SB 600.....pics will look alot better indoors. The built in flash is not very good.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. But shouldn't they currently be presentable without lightening them in Photoshop?
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:46 PM   #4

If your colours are out then try playing around with your White Balance controls, and in particular try setting the WB "level" to something like -2. I usually find Auto -2 to do the trick, or you could try something similar with the incandescant or fluorestent lighting settings.
sabaisabai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:33 PM   #5

What do you mean by horrible? You might try getting off of Auto. Check out some of the preset programs which are tuned for different situations or try P. I wouldn't drop some bucks on another flash.

I just got my D70 on Monday and shot some flash at night in my house, I was impressed. SLRs will need need some tuning, it comes with the territory.
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:51 AM   #6

I agree with getting an SB600 flash. You won't believe how natural the lighting will look on indoor shots.
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7

I have an SB-800 which give outstanding result...but the internal flash of the D70 is not that bad. In fact most review quote that it is one of the best built-in flash.

What is wrong with your picture? Is it a color balance problem? Post a picture, so we can guide you better.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:41 AM   #8

I agree with Morris. I use only the internal flash and it's awesome! Very good results and outstanding fill in flash. Try adjust WB auto o incandescent to -2. Yo will get more warm indoor photos.

crazydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:41 PM   #9

Hello,... Morris is right- we need to see a sample image, also EXIF info if you have it. No one can offer real suggestions for improvements until there is a clear picture

Bjane

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:08 PM   #10

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the internal flash. Infact I have the utmost confidence that if my batteries should all of a sudden go upin my SB-800, a quick flip to the internal wil not leave me stranded. Theres just too many other factors that could make the picture horrible to say the least.
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote