Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1

Just bought the Nikon D-70 and am looking to buy a second lens. Ritz camera told me that the Quantaray lens I described above is the exact same lens as the Sigma lens and that they are made by Sigma exclusevly for Ritz.If someone couldgive me a heads up on this I would really appreciate it.
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:17 PM   #2

Why not buy Nikkor lens - you have a great camera - you should buy good optics - they are not THAT much more.

Why do you want an 18-125 anyway - you have down to 18 if you have the kit lens (which is a very very good lens).

how about a Nikkor 70-300G f4/5.6 - less then $100 - nice lens or for more $$ the 70-210f4/5.6D
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:08 PM   #3

The reason I am overlapping distances is that I am trying to eliminate having to take off the lens but getting more zoom in the same lens. After reading alot of topics on dust in the camera, I'm scared half to death to take the lens off. Now you guys/gals are going to jump all over me and say, "then why did you buy a digital slr?" and I can understand why you would ask me such a question. The reason for buying this camera is because I could not get the fast shots I needed for sports with my olympus c-730 fixed lens digital camera.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:12 PM   #4

Don't WORRY about the dust. Take the lens off with the camera facing down and blow gently on the incoming lens - it's really an overblown worry.

Plus "IF" dust does get on the CCD you can get it off. Of course if you like taking photos in dust storms thats a different problem LOL.

It's good to be concerned but I thing lens quality will suffer more then a random piece of dust.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:28 PM   #5

Hey Grinder, can you please tell me if the lenses you mentioned earlier are ok to use with the d70 or am I going to be getting alot of vignetting( i think that's how you spell it) and is that a AF lens, and am I going to be getting a slower lens if it is not designed specifically for a digital camera? I'm new to this, so please be patient.:|
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:28 AM   #6

"can you please tell me if the lenses you mentioned earlier are ok to use with the d70 or am I going to be getting alot of vignetting( i think that's how you spell it) and is that a AF lens, and am I going to be getting a slower lens if it is not designed specifically for a digital camera?"

Try this link, some of it will be useful most will be confusing (and rightly so), and some of it won't be. Just click around and see what you can find out: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm

As far as your specific question regarding vignetting- This is something that -may- occur with any lens especially if it's a wide-angle lens, used wide open, or with some filters. (your 18-70mm vignettes @wide angle/open) You'll need to read up on this to become more knowledgable.

Those lenses above, and just about any lens someone recommends (who owns a Modern Nikon camera) will fit and work on your D70... though most older lenses will only work in manual mode with no metering or AFocus. Most modern 3party lenses with Nikon mount will fit your D70. and work perfectly- read up.

Bjane
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:32 AM   #7
NHL

The Canon folks like it - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/143791

... I tend to shop with my 'brand' blinder off, it's easier on the wallet,plusa whole lot more practical!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote