Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:02 AM   #1

Probably a most stupid question asked by the newbies like me for thousands of times.
I did a lot "serious" test with my d70 before, but felt a bit upset with the unhappy results:
1.underexposure, most of the time I have to give it +0.7ev compensation;
2.whitebalance, not so accurate even with the right setting and micro ajustment, a little greenish.
I seldom take the so called "serious" photograph, most of the time, I just do point and shoot for my baby boy and my wife. I'm not willing to do ps with my daily pics, and hope it looks not so bad when straight from the cam. At the same time, tired of changing the settings and dialing the wheels again and again. So I downloaded the "white wedding" curve for a try, not bad, not only improve the exposure, even the white balance better off a lot. But still not perfect as I imagined.
I surely know that there's no one curve can apply to all complicated circumstance, but my question is, with your experience, which curve do you think is most suitable for most situations?
Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
And sorry for my broken English.
Best regards
Franco

francof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:41 PM   #2
ikd

You might try here

http://www.mastersphoto.net/forum/

Some good info on curves with examples
ikd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:38 PM   #3

I honestly can not understand why people feel the need for curves.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:04 PM   #4

Probably the most stupid question asked by the newbies like me for thousands of times.
I did a lot "serious" test with my d70, but felt a bit upset with the unhappy results:
1.underexposure, most of the time I have to give it +0.7ev compensation;
2.whitebalance, not so accurate even with the right setting and micro ajustment, a little greenish.
I seldom take the so called "serious" photograph. most of the time, I just do point and shoot for my baby boy and my wife. I'm not willing to do ps with my daily pics, and hope it looks not so bad when straight from the cam. At the same time, tired of changing the settings and dialing the wheels again and again. So I downloaded the "white wedding" curve for a try, not bad, not only improve the exposure, even the white balance better off a lot. But still not perfect as I imagined.
I surely know that there's no one curve can apply to all complicated circumstance, but my question is, with your experience, which curve do you think is most suitable for most situations?
Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
And sorry for my broken English.
Best regards
Francof

Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:05 PM   #5

Please don't take it as an insult - I just find that the AUTO White Balance is so outstanding that I use it 80% of the time and it comes out perfect!

A custom curve is how you alter the excellent built-in curves of the D70, which have been developed by Nikon through years of continuous collaboration with the world's best professional photographers, and instead replace them with a something developed by some computer hobbyist who lives in his parents' garage.

Curves should be your last resort, and mostly for people needing bizarre and alternative looks.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:34 PM   #6

Grinder wrote:
Quote:
Please don't take it as an insult - I just find that the AUTO White Balance is so outstanding that I use it 80% of the time and it comes out perfect!

A custom curve is how you alter the excellent built-in curves of the D70, which have been developed by Nikon through years of continuous collaboration with the world's best professional photographers, and instead replace them with a something developed by some computer hobbyist who lives in his parents' garage.

Curves should be your last resort, and mostly for people needing bizarre and alternative looks.
A custom curve does nothing to the original 5 curves set in the camera, it IS however an additional one if you so choose. If Nikon thought that the curves they have set in the camera were the "be all, end all" of tone compensation, then why did they even bother to allow for a custom curve? Surely they wouldn't have spent all that money developing it and having a method of adding a custom curve and loading it to the camera. To create/modify a custom curve requires a vision of what you are looking to achieve, in a final image. This seems like a little more than some "hobbyist in their parents garage". Yes many people start with custom curves and dont have a clue what they are looking for, but it may be the first step for them to learn exactly what they DO like and be able to visually achieve it. To make a negative comment like that on anyone else's choice of whether to use a CC or not, is just ignorant.

Oh yeah, and white balance is a totally separate issue all together.
Dezine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:06 AM   #7

sorry, GrinderDezine, i really got-even more confused~ but, thank u anyway.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:12 AM   #8

Isn't francof talking about correcting WB problems? OR am I reading something wrong.

Sure Curves are fun if you are looking for some unique look but for simply trying to fix a WB problem I'm pretty sure PRE does in all if there is a problem and AUTO is out standing in my view.

francof - perhaps it would help if you posts some photos with the setting used. ISO, WB settings and so forth. I'm pretty sure we can fix a problem without using curves.

I think Nikon did disservice by even mentioning curves unless it was in an ADVANCE section of the manual - it only confuses people.

HOWEVER - here is a nice Curves page on the net
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dltucke...urves_home.htm
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:06 AM   #9

thanks grinder, that's really helpful!
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:54 PM   #10

francof wrote:
Quote:
sorry, GrinderDezine, i really got-even more confused~ but, thank u anyway.
francof,

It seems that you may be trying to get a handle on 2 issues here. They can be handled seperately and don't really influence each other.

First, the white balance issue, try setting your camera to the auto setting, with the fine tuning set to -1, or even -2. Different types of lighting give different color temperatures to your image, so feel free to experiment with this. The auto usually does a pretty good job to start with, and by giving fine tuning a "+" you will add a cooler (blue) tinge to your pics, or by adding a (-) you will add a warmer (red) feel. You mentioned a green tint so try the "-" setting first. Shooting in RAW and editing the image in nikon capture using the white balance feature in tool pallette 2, will give you an idea of the effect of white balance settings on an image. You can also see the difference in the image between the custom curve you have loaded and the other 5 tone compensation settings that are in the camera under the advanced raw palette.

Only Nikon capture will see the custom curve that has been "tagged" to the raw file, adobe camera raw will not. I also think that you have to have the custom curve set when you take the picture ( not 100% sure on if it will tag the custom curve if it is set on the normal tone setting?)

Second, you said that you loaded fotogenetics white wedding curve ( i believe the latest version of this curve is called point and shoot ver. 4.1), now assuming you have this loaded correctly and set in your camera, it will essentially add about .5 EV to the midtones in your image. The idea with this curve is to neutralize the mids, while maintaining dark tones, and not blowing out the highlights. If you find that this makes your pictures too "bright" try his curve called the EV3 ver4.1, this is essentially the same curve with only a .3 EV increase to the mids. Try taking a lot of pictures in different scenarios to see how the different curves react, they may not cover every scenario, but some are better than others ( like the point and shoot curve).

Remember photography is about experimentation and fun, try many different things until you come across a combination that you truly enjoy seeing in an image.
Dezine is offline   Reply With Quote