Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

View Poll Results: Split the Nikon Group into a D70 & Nikon pro DSLR?
Yes, split the D70 to a seperate group 3 23.08%
No, it is just fine the way it is. 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1

Does anyone else think it it may be worthwhile to split the Nikon DSLR into 2 groups i.e. D70 & Nikon pro Cameras?

Look, the D70 is better than some of the "pro" Nikon in certain regards, and while not technically a pro camera, is being used by many pros for wedding work and is a great camera with the best bang for the buck currently available. But, it seems that at least 90% of the posts in this group are concerning the D70, and a good portion are related to basic questions regarding the D70. I think it would be appropriate to break this into 2 groups. What do you think?
dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:04 PM   #2

As a D70 user I have a bias but I think splitting the forum is an unnecessary step. The ratio of posts just represents the current popularity of this camera but this will shift as new cameras are produced.

Some posts may relate to the D70 but may actually have relevance to other camera users and vice versa. If the heading doesn't interest me I ignore the post, if it interests me I read the post regardless of which camera model is mentioned in the post title.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

This makes a lot of sense (especially if the person who thinks of it foots the bill for the server space).

Oh, oh!!! I have a better idea...let's split every forum into seperate forums for each camera model made!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:07 PM   #4
NHL

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Oh, oh!!! I have a better idea...let's split every forum into seperate forums for each camera model made!
I'm with Kalypso - why not split the 'Pro' vs 'non'-Pro lens forums as well! :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 3:40 PM   #5

Interesting idea, but as you mentioned about 90% of the posts in the Nikon DSLR forum are about the D70 so that by itself would suggest lack of need for a non-D70 Nikon DSLR forum. I don't know how many Nikon DSLR owners on here have 'pro' level cameras, but I suspect there are more D70 owners than all other Nikon DSLR bodies.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:22 PM   #6

I think it's fine the way it is. Novices can learn from the experience of the more proficient, and the more experienced can discuss with like minds. Splitting the forum would prevent that. At least on Steve's message board people are still civil enough to not warrant such changes.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:25 AM   #7

We'll be discussing this when the next nikon non-pro dslr comes out, as we did when the d100 was tha bom!

In a year or so the d70 posts will diminish again Keep it as it is, me says! :-)

DASROCKET
dasrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:29 AM   #8

Cameras change and new models are out every week. Next week when the d71.05 is out, a camera specific d70 forum would be dead wood.

Maybe should go one step further, and split the non-pro lens forum from the budget lenses as well. :blah::blah::blah:

Quote:
I'm with Kalypso - why not split the 'Pro' vs 'non'-Pro lens forums as well!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:15 PM   #9
DBB

I don't own a D70, I use the D1x and ASAP, the D2x. Saying all that, just what the heck is the D70 if not a camera that can take professional pictures?

It's an SLR, with all the flexibility inherent in that design. Next time you take an award winning photo with the D70, better not show anyone because it didn't come from a "pro" camera...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote