Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:32 PM   #11

I replied to everyone in one email.
gamblerxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:41 PM   #12

Here is a picture I took outside, on auto, the shop picture was ok, but 100 times better than any camera that has ever attempted it on auto. After some tweaking of the fstops and white balance, I am sure it will do fine. I was just horrified by the inability for the d70 to even get close??
Guys I am a photoshop guy by heart but I am not going to enhance all these photos, if the camera can not capture the shot then I guess I dont want it. I guess the old Sony was better than I thought. Here is a picture outside with the FZ20 today, it looks pretty good. I just really wanted the D70, I guess I will wait until they improve the low light ability.
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:42 PM   #13

Pic 2
Attached Images

Old Mar 20, 2005, 3:18 PM   #14

you might have tried changing iso speed setting would have made major difference in ability under low light conditions
fotosbydennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:36 PM   #15

by the way, the picture made with the FZ20 have really unnatural colors...
You know for the D70 you could download some CUSTOM CURVE, and upload it in the D70 it will then take picture more the way of your sony or Panasonic i saw there was "point and shout" profile curve...

the thing is to go to a 80% quality picture is easy with a POINT AND SHOOT but... with a DSLR its more difficult to get to the 80% quality BUT... once youre there you can go to 110% ^_^
NO POINT AND SHOOT will make as good pictures as a good DSLR with someone who know dslr well....

Then if the 80% quality is enough for you, you shouldnt bother and keep the panasonic ^^
chromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:46 AM   #16

Actually, the FZ20's color rendition is excellent... it produces the faintest yellowish cast in some cases, but only discernable under certain lighting and only to a trained eye. The shot taken with the Z20 is closest by far to actual color on this Challenger (if it's the factory paint color),and the first shot with the D70 really doesn't even come close (I'm an old Mopar fan, and remember that color well!).

Seems like the biggest issues here are white balance settings and DOF. The white balance can be set on the FZ20, and the smaller sensor will definitely give you much more DOF, but the penalty for that is noise, especially at ISO 200 or above. Best bet for this kind of work is to get a tripod, set your camera to ISO80 and use an intermediate f-stop, say f5.6. That's about the "sweet spot" for the FZ's lens, and should provide maximum clarity with acceptable DOF. You can move the whole setup around the car, but using a tripod and the self-timer will help eliminate any possibility of camera shake (even with OIS, for max clarity, a tripod is a good thing) to get the best possible image.

Frankly, unless you plan on making really large prints (16x20 or bigger), the Panasonic should be all you need for this kind of work. Resolution won't be as good as the D70, and you'll get a little more noise, particularly at ISO 200 or above, but from the pics shown here, I see no reason to spend the extra $500 for a camera that won't easily and reliably do what you want.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:12 PM   #17

I have a FZ20 and I know how it works.
Some yellow cast and a few other issues, but overall a great cam.

Now it is not so easy to use as it was for my first camear, a Canon Powershot A300.

I guess that there is the same ratio of A300 - FZ20 with the FZ20 and D70.

I mean, when you manage to use it D70 is far better than FZ20. But you need to know it and to spend some money more.

For me FZ20 is just great (even in terms of size) so I presently don't know if I ll ever make the big step to dSLR...

My last FZ20 pics

http://www.webalice.it/francescoraff...-page/Fra7.htm

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:17 PM   #18

I also own a d70, you need the right lens for the job, try a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8

I saw these same pics a couple of months ago, same problem?

good luck..

mark

marksr116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:48 PM   #19
DBB

Hi Gambler

LOL - I feel your pain. The primary problem here is not the lens, it is the White Balance.

My first digital camera's were point and shoot, and the automatic White Balance on these Olympus camera's was wonderful. When I moved up to Nikon DSLR, I found the auto balance was terrible and setting for specific lighting was NOT a great help.

However, as you point out, shooting in outside light was acceptable....

That being said, I now shoot in RAW and in RAW you can correct the WB AFTER you shoot. I LOVE RAW, and I get much better results than any setting in any camera...

Shoot RAW!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote