Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:24 PM   #11

Thanks for the comparison shots. I took some shots of all mentioned cameras in a store. These are limted conditions though and it is hard to take a lanscape shot in a store. I liked the handling and viewfinder of pentax *istDS but pictures not so much, E300 has a terrible small viewfinder in which you can hardly see anything, the electronic autofocus system is also annoying. My choice was down to 300D and D70. 300D is smaller (good) but feels and sounds cheap (bad), photos are very good and smooth, resolution not that good as D70 but I guess it is mainly due to the cheap kit lens. D70 lens is excellent. Generally as I said it was an impulse - I took advantage of the rebate plus I got alraedy a telephoto 70-300 Glens from myN65 kit.

My concern of D70's review waswhy the usually presentedjpeg shots were in case of D70 RAWs. SoI would rather be interested in a comparison between jpg and RAW shots of D70 and whether the former ones are much inferior to the latter ones and why.

cheers mike

michalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:28 PM   #12

Im sorry dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but...how exactly do you convert RAW to jpeg?
Zeroskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:22 PM   #13

Zeroskillet wrote:
Quote:
Im sorry dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but...how exactly do you convert RAW to jpeg?
Either use the RAW utility that comes with the camera (assuming that it has one) or the RAW plug in available with Adobe Photoshop (the update is a free download & includes most cameras that output in RAW format). Make whatever adjustments are necessary & save to JPG.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:29 PM   #14

There is nothing that cant be fixed without a little tinkering in photoshop.

Oftentimes all you have to do is let photoshop do it for you automatically.

so if you could get the same pics, i would go for the d70 because it starts up a hell of alot faster, is more durable, etc.

:P
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote