Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:13 AM   #1

I just bought a new D70, it was quite an impulse as I was considering rather 300D. Anyway I went for D70 feeling it was a much better camera. And then I saw Steve's samples and I was horrified.They had always been an important guideline for me - always the same shots! so easy to compare! I was very eager to see the red brick building, the playground shots of D70 and what I saw was RAW converted files (there was also a horrible jpg file of the red brick building - so much worse than the nef) What is wrong with D70 that only nefs are good? I am not a photographer and don't havetime nor wish to save in RAW and postprocess - does it mean this camera is useless for me?

I appreciate some guidelines.

thanks
michalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:31 AM   #2

I think the answer is try it and see. I always use RAW on my D70 so I'm maybe not the best person to comment. My view is that RAW is the way to shoot with this camera if you want to get the best results from it and have the maximum amount of control over the final result. I have found that using the image optimisation settings in the menu can result in good results straight out of the camera when the resulting NEF file is processed by Nikon View, not quite the same when processed with Photoshop.

I have no idea what JPG setting Steve used when carrying out the review but if I was to use JPG I would set it at quality fine and size L that way you are going to get the best quality JPG files the camera can produce.

Give it a try and see what you think of the results.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:09 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Nagasaki, I will try and see. Hopefully the answer will not be: this camera can be used in raw only and gives crappy results in jpg. BTW maybe it is not a bad idea to use raw I just wonder if this procedure can be standardised meaning you save all images in raw and then convert them to jpg using like "convert all' option or you have to spend half n hour at each picture squeezing all settings, white balance contrast etc.

cheers mike
Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:31 PM   #4
fh

Yes you can convert RAW to Jpeg batch mode and it is is pretty efficient.

I shoot Fine jpeg for a month or so before moving to RAW and I had great results just with plain Jpeg. I use RAW mainly to mess around with the White Balance but as I am playing with it I also realized that I could set up the correct WB in the first place and still use Jpeg and get great results. Don't sweat it, this is an awesome camera and if you set it with the prefered setting of your choice such as EV:+0.3, saturated high, contrast high, WB to cloudy for outdoors, you can get pretty amazing results just out of the camera. Would be more happy to share samples with you offline if you like. Please don't return that Gem of a camera...:-)
fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:02 AM   #5

OK thanks, I really thought that there is something suspicious about the subject.

I look forward to get my camera and experiment with the settings. Sure I would appreciate some guidelines and samples as well, you mean via a a website or by email?
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:33 AM   #6

michalc wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a new D70, it was quite an impulse as I was considering rather 300D. Anyway I went for D70 feeling it was a much better camera. And then I saw Steve's samples and I was horrified.They had always been an important guideline for me - always the same shots! so easy to compare! I was very eager to see the red brick building, the playground shots of D70 and what I saw was RAW converted files (there was also a horrible jpg file of the red brick building - so much worse than the nef) What is wrong with D70 that only nefs are good? I am not a photographer and don't havetime nor wish to save in RAW and post process - does it mean this camera is useless for me?
Here's the two shots from outside the school showing the D70 & E300 side by side.

They have been reduced slightly with Unsharp Mask applied equally to both. The D70 appears to have more colour saturation & I would say that E300 just wins on detail.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:41 AM   #7

This comparison is between RAW files & again the D70 appears to have more colour saturation & I the E300 probably just wins on detail.
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:46 AM   #8

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
michalc wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a new D70, it was quite an impulse as I was considering rather 300D. Anyway I went for D70 feeling it was a much better camera. And then I saw Steve's samples and I was horrified.They had always been an important guideline for me - always the same shots! so easy to compare! I was very eager to see the red brick building, the playground shots of D70 and what I saw was RAW converted files (there was also a horrible jpg file of the red brick building - so much worse than the nef) What is wrong with D70 that only nefs are good? I am not a photographer and don't havetime nor wish to save in RAW and post process - does it mean this camera is useless for me?
Quote:
Here's the two shots from outside the school showing the D70 & E300 side by side.

They have been reduced slightly with Unsharp Mask applied equally to both. The D70 appears to have more colour saturation & I would say that E300 just wins on detail.

From the shadows, the pictures were taken at entirely different times of the day, or different days even. For a true comparison, the shots should be done at the same time, for equal lighting conditions. So, the pictures shown are not a true comparison!!!!

Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:50 AM   #9

When I first saw the full size D70 of this image, I was impressed with the overall quality, so this section really doesn't do it justice.

Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:00 AM   #10

Bob Ayers wrote:
Quote:
From the shadows, the pictures were taken at entirely different times of the day, or different days even. For a true comparison, the shots should be done at the same time, for equal lighting conditions. So, the pictures shown are not a true comparison!!!!
Your right Bob & forgive me, I never said that they were.

The original posting from michalcwas expressing concern that he felt having seen the shots on Steve's sample page he possibly regretted buying the D70.

I'm merely placing both of Steve's sample shots side by side for relative comparison & yes the difference in lighting has to be taken into account.

I'm also looking to upgrade & currently the Canon Rebel, Nikon D70 & Olympus E300 are all in the running

Personally, whilstSteve's samples are useful they are only a guide & must be taken into context for the reasons that you have stated but, nevertheless, unless you can gain access to both cameras to take sample shots, it the next best thing that we have to go by.