Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:47 PM   #11

Though i dont have either Nikon or Canon but i kind of going through the same. I am leaning towards Nikon D70 as in the discussion forums i went through there were less negaive things mentioned about Nikon then what i read in Canon eos 20D. The main thing mentioned about Nikon was slight underexposure which actually turns out to be an advantage as it saves the highlights and give you more control if you are shooting raw. everyone seems to love the metering system of Nikon. In order to take a good picture apart from composition exposure is a must. So i feel that the light metering system of the nikon combined with its SB800 flash gives it a superior edge.

I have FZ10 and i have to to keep my exp composition to2/3 and may be more in bright light to get good pictures. Though it is not a DSLR but for its pricethis is a very good camera and i believe FZ20 is an improvemnet

Also apparently the lenses in the nikon are better again no personal experience but people talk about 50mm 1.8 lens which seem very good for portrait work and only cost $100.

Though there is another 8MP canon digitall rebel XT has been anounced but so far it has not swayed me. I am waiting for anouncements for PMA and hoping that this competition will bring down the price of Nikon D70 soon. Untill then i am happy with my FZ10.

ag

aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:07 AM   #12

thank you all for your replies, it is much appreciated. And I always thought Canon also had a great metering system, but I will definitely check out the D70. Also Canon has a new flash out, Does anyone know if the Nikon flashes are superior than the Canons?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:18 AM   #13

Nancy, I appreciate your dilemma, since once you buy you are locked in because of the lenses. But playing catch up is now a vicious spiral, with Canon bringing out the Rebel, then Nikon the D70, then Canon the 20D and so on. So here is my take on things since I have owned Canon and Nikon SLR's, and now DSLR.

It seems to me that the Nikon equivalent is always about 6 months behind Canon, but in some ways that is to our advantage since if you look at the D70 compared to the Rebel there is really no comparison. The Rebel was a stripped out D10 but the D70 was as good as, and in some areas better, than the D100. Now Canon have brought out the 20D which is a fabulous camera from all accounts, but I see they have already had to bring out a firmware update to sort out problems. Soon, I am sure, the D200 will appear, with more pixels and facilities, the leapfrogging continues, but sometimes I think it is becoming all too much and that people are chasing the newest rather than concentrating on getting the best out of their existing equipment.

When I look at the quality of my F90X, wjich has seen literally thousands of rolls of film, has lost its' lacquer, has been dropped, got wet, been baked in the sun, has rolled around in the car, yet still works with the same uncanny precision as new I know why I am a Nikon man. I have the D70 and changing to digital has, for an old duffer like me, been a steep learning curve, but I am getting there and of course now click away merrily in the full knowledge that there are no developing costs any more. I still remember the best shot I never took with film, and it still bugs me.

As to lenses, well I tend to count the "white versus black" at sports events, and it was true that a few years back the whites won the day, but if you look now you'll find more and more black lenses. Frankly they are both top marques so I can't imaging that in use there can be much difference.IS/VR, silent motors, they are all the same.They wouldn't get away withany problemsfor long that is for sure. Same with the flashes - I have the SB800 and swear by it, but I am still learning all the usages.

So there is my take on the matter. I am sure that you will hear much the same from a Canon user, but after over 25 years now with Nikon I am not going to change, because I have NEVER been let down by my equipment. That is irrespective of ancillaries I have built up which will still work with my new camera as well as with my stone age F2. If I won the lottery I would upgrade the body, but would still be, and would be proud to be, a Nikon Man.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:00 AM   #14

did canon ever let you down? i have a N80+MB16, 28-105ED, 70-300 ED, and a SB50DX. Now while my lenses are still valid (except for the 1.5c crop factor) with teh D70 i hear teh SB50DX will not TTL with the D70. I still prefer Nikon becuase to me they seem more intuitive to use.
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:13 AM   #15
NHL

IMO in today's market a digital camera is your film! It's an integral part of your camera (ie ISO noise etc...) - 6 months ago may be different, but as of yesteday this is the new low-end 'emulsion': :G :lol: :-)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...ebelxt_pr.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:30 AM   #16

canon does seem to release models faster than nikon. i have not used any digital slr yet but am so comfortable with the controls of my N80 I would find it diffcult to switch to another camera that does not have the controls in the about the same place.

I do believe that canon's software is better esp with colour accuracy (I have a G2 + 420EX). I could be wrong though as advances in the digtal domain change the order of things almost every day.

Nikon's D70 when released was compared by most to the 20D when it was released and not the Digtal Rebel. The 20D is about 20-30% more expensive that the Nikon and this says a lot about Nikon.

As far as i am concerend I just shot about 6 rolls of film in the last week and am happy with my N80 till the digital domain settles down. I guess Nikon, Canon and even Minolta, Pentax and Olympus will introduce a digtal camera every 6 months or so for the next 2-3 years not to mention all the lenses that will be released. When the advances slow a bit i'll bite till then I'll just make do with my odd combination of N80 and G2 (when I need digital).

There are lots of simple advances that I'd love to see in digital SLRs. Most obvious are (1) a built in dust filter (2) a LCD screen that can be rotated lie my G2 (3) auto detection of CCD size so one can use the digitial lenses as well as full frame SLR lenses (4) CCD frame ratio control so one can shoot a frame of 1:2, 2:2, 3:2, 4:2 etc...this wish list is long.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:59 PM   #17

Yes the Canon did let me down. Electronic failure. At the time, years ago, Canon had even then the reputation for innovation but not build quality, and I cannot speak for today but am happy to stick with Nikon for the stated reasons. No Nikon has ever let me down, ever, the only problem being occasionally a tight roll of film that needed rewinding half way. That is no refection on the cmaera though. My D70, with the 17/55 F2.8, the 70/200 VRIFED F2.8, the SB800, and the TC14E converter are as good a combination as I am ever likely to need for the moment, at least till I see the D200 or whatever they call it.

Incidentally, Canon have no equivalent at all to the 17/55 F2.8, which is a glaring omission I feel. 16/35 F2.8(same as Nikon's 17/35), and 24/70 F2.8, but not one lens to cope with wide angle and portrait. Each to his own, but I believe I have chosen wisely.

And I can't help but comment that if she who started this thread reads this, that she comments in the Canon forum that she would rather buy a Canon because they are "nicer people" there - well, words fail me.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:33 AM   #18

that is an enviable combination.

the 17-55 and 70-200 VR are both very good lenses. I was considering a cheaper combination but could not find another 18-70 or similar rangelens that would be compatible on film as well as digital bodies. the sigma 18-50 2.8 is suitable only for digital bodies.

as an alternate fo the 70-200 VR i was looking at the Nikon 80-200 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM or Sigma 100-300 F4. which of these 3 (under $900) lenses would you prefer/recommend?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:42 PM   #19
NHL

Does this version of the 80-200 f/2.8 have the silent drive? The two Sigma's do which are not only quiet but fast with full-time manual overide...

Do you shoot mostly @ 200mm? or will use the lens with a teleconverter in which case the 100-300 f/4 is absolutely the sharpest zoom in this focal range! http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:46 PM   #20

It is very odd but the sigma 100-300 is not carried by any local shops that stock sigma lenses.

:homey:Besides the best zoom is a good wide-normal prime and your feet.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote