Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:22 PM   #41

NHL wrote:
Quote:
cameranserai wrote:

BTW the non-VR version is slighly sharper than the 'VR' (ditto with the Canon 'IS' version), and the AF-s is slighly better than the non-AF-s 80-200!
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef

There is, however, some danger in attributing these test results as a total quality indicator. They measure a very narrow capability, and say nothing about the other qualities of the lens. As a measure of pure resolution, it may be true, that the 80-200 is slightly sharper than the 70-200VR, at the point it was measured, but "In use" the VR may appear sharper because of the VR. Also, the VR is purported to have better chromatic aspects and a wider range of sharpness through the f-stops.

I don't own either lens, but I did shoot a few photos with the 70-200VR, hand held, indoors at 200mm. That's 300 on my D70. Wide open, I couldn't ask for more sharpness. I was very impressed. The shots were at about 1/60 of various objects in the store. Everything was tack sharp and the color was very much as I remembered.
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:58 AM   #42

The Nikon 80-200 2.8 in the $800 range does NOT have VR or SWM, but is still a pretty fast focuser. I would imagine, however, the Sigma 70-200 HSM 2.8 would focus faster. I was leaning towards the Sigma in December but ended up getting the Nikon because of the $200 rebate at the time, resale value and the fact I had just gotten a D1H which meant the Nikon lens would focus fast. If I still had just the D70 and without that extra rebate, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Sigma.
As for the midrange 2.8 zooms, my personal preference after quite a bit of research was the Tamron 28-75. However, since I was needing a lens for basketball at the time and the Nikon 85 1.8 had a rebate at the time, I went with the Nikon. That extra stop is quite handy in gyms. The 85 was my favorite lens during basketball season, the 80-200 was also nice when lighting allowed its use.
As for DSLRs not having the 'flip screen' like the P&S cameras, IMO the advantages of DSLRs far outweigh disadvantages like that. More flexibility, more control, higher ISO levels, etc.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:13 AM   #43
NHL

erichlund wrote:
Quote:
... I don't own either lens, but I did shoot a few photos with the 70-200VR, hand held, indoors at 200mm. That's 300 on my D70. Wide open, I couldn't ask for more sharpness. I was very impressed. The shots were at about 1/60 of various objects in the store. Everything was tack sharp and the color was very much as I remembered.
... and I agree

However in the store everything was static - Try shooting any sport @ 1/60s of a second -> With a shutter speed required to freeze an indoor action then wouldn't VR become redundant then? ie... in fast moving gyms some attributes may be more important than others (performance/price is a factor too)

... Also the resale value is kind of a myth - lenses that don't hold their price are the ones that no one wants (including Nikon). If anyone find a fast used 70-200 or 120-300 f/2.8 that do not hold their prices my friends would like to know! :G :lol: :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:02 AM   #44

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
The Nikon 80-200 2.8 in the $800 range does NOT have VR or SWM, but is still a pretty fast focuser.... I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Sigma.
As for the midrange 2.8 zooms, my personal preference after quite a bit of research was the Tamron 28-75. However, since I was needing a lens for basketball at the time and the Nikon 85 1.8 had a rebate at the time, I went with the Nikon. That extra stop is quite handy in gyms. The 85 was my favorite lens during ...As for DSLRs not having the 'flip screen' like the P&S cameras, IMO the advantages of DSLRs far outweigh disadvantages like that. More flexibility, more control, higher ISO levels, etc.
did you consider the sigma 100-300/4 or is that too slow for your needs?

WRT the flip screen. I did not mean that P&S are better than SLRs but I wondered why they cant have such a simple feature that just about every P&S has.
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:13 PM   #45

I think a flip screen is usefull only if you can use it as a visor. It would be kind of useless to put a flip screen on a DSLR only to review the image.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:35 AM   #46

of course as a visor. then one can shoot around corners like i do with my Canon G2.
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:09 AM   #47

Having used both the 80-200 (non AF-S) and 70-200 VR Nikkors for low light dusk portraits, on a monopod and at ISO's 800-1600, I can tell you VR is a God send! To be able to shoot at ISO 800-1000 instead of 1600 reduces my post processing later on the computer, not to mention that I get more keepers too.

This is becoming a lens conversation and deviating from the original post. Anyway, both systems have ups and downs, but since Nikon fits better in my hands and feels (and feel is a very personal thing) more like an extension of my senses than Canon does, I choose Nikon.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote