Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:01 AM   #1

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am a member of the Panasonic forum being that I own a FZ20. Used to shoot with pro equipment and that camera just isn't up to par. I was looking at the Canon D20 b/c of all of the raves over it, but people in the forum were complaining about the more expensive EOS lenses not focusing well in the wider apertures (f2.8 etc.). So now I am turning to Nikon to see if their cameras/lenses are better. I am looking to do professional work, maybe some weddings but primarily I shoot people, mostly children but some head shot work. One of my big problems now is that most of the kids that I shoot (I have a very large family) see me taking a picture and start running towards me. In the old days right b4 digital, I remember Canon having the only real auto tracking focus, which would be able not only to track a child, but in sports photography (even today, at football and other events, all you see are Canons) and nature photography etc. My main question is (being that everyone in here should be a Nikon fan) why Nikon over Canon, what are the pros and cons. And do the Nikons now have auto tracking focus? Hope this question isn't too much trouble for the group. I am really going crazy trying to make a decision on which camera to get (after all, when all is said and done it will be about a $4k purchase, w/lens, memory card(s) and accessories). Thank you all in advance! Nancy
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:39 AM   #2

Nikon has had continuous focusing/tracking since before digital became popular, and is available in all Nikon DSLR's. First, don't believe all the negative posts you read on the internet. It seems unsatisfied owners tend to post more than happy ones. What can I say about Nikon... their ergonomics fit my hand like a glove; AF performance is top notch; and I personally like all my lenses black :-)
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:46 AM   #3

If you are only looking at Canon/Nikon both systems work very well and feature wise they tend to try to match up. Either would be a good choice.

Myself, I prefer my lenses a heat dissipating white :-), but then I also picked florescent orange for my hard cases so I wouldn't misplace them in the bush.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:52 PM   #4
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
... but then I also picked florescent orange for my hard cases so I wouldn't misplace them in the bush.
Actually my is fluorescent Yellow and my family refused to stay anywhere close to me when we checked-in for the cruise! :blah:

BTW there's a minor difference - All Canon lens motors are in the lenses, Nikon AF-s Silent Wave motors are in the lenses... but most others Nikon AF are driven (and deterministic) from the camera
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:05 PM   #5

Hey there, NHL, do you own a Nikon, as well???????
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:05 PM   #6
NHL

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Hey there, NHL, do you own a Nikon, as well???????
I added a used F5 to my collection over a year ago... :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:29 PM   #7

I like the Nikons, Durability and quality go hand and hand.. the D2H is an awsome camera and Very well built mine has been through alot... rain, snow , fire and it just keeps putting out top notch images. Dale
Attached Images

cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:57 PM   #8

So everyone here in this forum has Nikons and nobody has anything positive to say about them???
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:17 AM   #9

If you're looking for an alternative to the canon 20d, Nikon curently doesn't have an equivalent - although an announcement is expected at the PMA soon I think for a D100 replacement that should compete with the 20d.

I have lots of positiive things to sayabout my D70, best camera in its price range by a long way! However, Canon's seem to have better noise performance at high ISO's and also seem to have the lead in all sectors of the market in terms of models and specification etc with the exception of entry level dslr (D70 vs 300d)

As regards to the AF Nikon cameras have AF-C mode which I think is the same as Canon's AI-Servo (?) for tracking.
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:29 AM   #10

OK I'll bite. I have a Nikon D70 camera and it's the best camera I've ever owned.

Is it better than a Canon,well I don't know I've never owned or used a Canon.

I'm sure either will give great pics and I think what you get out of these cameras has more to do with the person standing behind the camera than the badge on the front.

So I suggest you read the reviews and go down to the shop and get your hands on the cameras and then buy the one that feels right to you.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote