Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:31 AM   #1

This lens expensive but worth the money according to reviewer if you are involved in VR Mode. What does this mean?:?Appreciate your response.
SPORTSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:48 AM   #2

VR is Nikon's answer to the Canon IS system. It is either Vibration Reduction or Image Satiliser. What it does is obviate blurring by altering the shutter speed. I find it very useful for motorsport.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:34 PM   #3

Thanks very much!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:27 PM   #4
NHL

VR/IS/AS allows you to shoot @ a lower shutter speed caused by a camera/lens movement - for this it's very effective and remove the need for a good stand in low-light...

It does not stop the action however - for this you need the higher shutter speed: when a subject is running, swimming, or flying by @ a fast pace for example you can't expect a camera to freeze any motion @ 1/60s!

The equilibrium is reached when your shutter speed exceeds the 1/focal lenght rule -> if you have to shoot at a higher speed anyway (for example 1/300s for a 200mm) to freeze the action then VR becomes redundant... :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:34 PM   #5

I'm seeking to improve shots at max speed 1/250. I assume from your response that this would be good?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:03 PM   #6
NHL

FYI - shot @ 1/250s: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=30682

.... and with panning: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=32296
-> (ie @ 1/90 - 1/180s with IS/VR turned OFF for panning effect!) :idea:
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:10 PM   #7

I"m shooting basketball shots in gyms. No flash allowed (or wanted) most at F1.8 or 2.0 using Nikon D70; lens 85mm F1.4D trying to get crisp action shot; meaning blurring of hands,etc wanted but otherwise stopped dead crisp. Sports mode found no good for basketball-- too many players in motion for automatic focus to pick up the right one: ergo, have had best results manual,S (center)focus selected and prefocused on a given spot. Meaning I've got nothing until someone/thing hits thatspot. Which is OK. Trying to come with some GREAT shots; otherwise, I could use, as Idid back in college,a 4x5 Speed Graphic and flash.

I appreciate all input very much. Thanks to all who have and are providing!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:48 PM   #8
NHL

Well... I guess you have the right lens for the job already!

Canon does have a f/1.2, but so much for DOF hey? :G
You might want to increase the ISO a bit -> otherwise flash is the other option if you need the DOF to capture multiple players...

I can't see how VR can help freezing the fast moving players here unless they stop and pose for you!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 7:10 PM   #9

Actually prefer the wide aperture so I can blur players other than the one I want to feature. That's why I prefocus on a spot and wait til he/she gets there. The reason I use S focus rather than C which Nikon siuggest for sports. The lens I've been considering zooms to 200mm. From reading the description of trhe lens, I have the idea that with this lens I could shoot from a greater distance without having to woryy about the loss of light. BUT If this were a film camera, I would know that moving the lense furtherR from the film plane would increase the depth of field. But, being new to digital, I don't know if that's true. (?) And I'm not looking for DOF.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:42 AM   #10
NHL

SPORTSHOOTER wrote:
Quote:
... BUT If this were a film camera, I would know that moving the lense furtherR from the film plane would increase the depth of field. But, being new to digital, I don't know if that's true. (?) And I'm not looking for DOF.
Yes - this is still true, but you are also increasing the focal lenght which effectively decreases the DOF!
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html