Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:32 AM   #1

Hi,

I've had my D70 since Christmas and the learning curve has been very steep for me.

This evening my 14 year old will be performing at a jazz band concert. I have never been to the venue, so I know very little about it's lighting or set up. The concert will be held in an old fashioned, small movie theater that has recently been converted into performance space.

I have the kit lens, the 70 - 300 f4 G lens, and a 24 -120 VR lens (a Valentines day present :love. I also have the SB 800. I am running to the camera store this afternoon to pick up the 50 mm 1.8 .

Would someone please share with me what lens and what settings would work best in this type of venue?

Thanks so much,

Deborah
Deeborah L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:50 AM   #2

Not knowing the venue I'd go with the 24-120. The 70-300 is also tempting but could be too much lens if you end up sitting close to the stage.

Personally I'd try not to use the flash. I think that way you'd get a bettermood to the photos and you won't annoy everyone else :-). You may have to up the ISO a bit to get the shots but I'd be wary about pushing it too far. 400 is OK 800 acceptable beyond that the noise gets worse. That said I'd rather use 1600 and get the shot than miss it because there's not enough light.

If you have Photoshop CS and shoot RAW you can use anything white in the photo to set the white balance in post processing. You could try using the preset white balance but it's unlikely that you will be lit by the same lights as the performers.

Even without CS I'd shoot RAW to give you the most flexibility during post processing.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:37 PM   #3

You should try to preserve the natural ligth...so no flash. You will have to use a high ISO 800+. The 50mm f1.8 will give the best result as long as you can walk around to do the manual ZOOM during the performance. If you can not move too much then the 24-120 VR will be your best bet. If people on the stage are still a shutter of 1/20 with VR on will do the job, but if you need to freeze people moving on the stage, shutter will have to be faster then 1/100 and up to 1/400 if they are running around.

Forget the 70-300G.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:38 PM   #4

Which lens did you decide to use and how did the photos turn out?
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:09 PM   #5

Nagasaki wrote:
Quote:
Which lens did you decide to use and how did the photos turn out?
I used the VR lens and I had blurry pics! I really have some learning to do

Thank you to everyone who responded.
Deeborah L. is offline   Reply With Quote