Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1

I have 2 D-70s and shoot them for wedding/event work. I have always used jpeg and not had any problem. Recently a shooter friend sudjested I try RAW. Well the raw images look terrible and I cant say what the problem is. The exposure is good "histogram tells me that" but the image is so noisy. Any ideas?

Duane
patchwoork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:23 PM   #2

I'm surprised that you say there is more noise in the RAW files. I would expect the RAW files to be less sharp and less saturated as these types of setting are applied in camera for JPEG and in software by the photographer for RAW. This is what gives you more control with RAW as you apply settings you feel appropriate you don't accept what the camera 'thinks' is best.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:44 PM   #3

I would expect that as well, however very noisy is the best way to discribe them.

duane
patchwoork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:24 PM   #4

Which software are you using to view your raw files? Maybe the problem is there. My raw files are better than the jpg most of the time. I use Nikon view + Nikon Capture
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:12 AM   #5

My raw images look pretty good. They're not sharp but I have seen NO noise at all. Of course I only shoot at ISO 200. But haven't seen anything like random off pixels or graininess. They will require some post production. That's a given. I've used Nikon Capture which was too slow compared to PhotoShop Camera Raw.
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:02 AM   #6

Nagasaki : Can you tell me the diferens betwin the Bibble, capture one and nikon capture ??, and for wath are they for ??? Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:31 AM   #7

Sorry I can't help. I use Nikon View and Photoshop CS.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:05 PM   #8

Never heard of bibble, but Capture One is a raw image processing program from Phase One.

Same as Nikon Capture is a image processing program from Nikon.

IMHO: Nikon's capture is slow and clunky compared to either Photoshop CS raw pluign or Capture One.

Peter

Carlitin wrote: [/b]

Quote:
Nagasaki : Can you tell me the diferens betwin the Bibble, capture one and nikon capture ??, and for wath are they for ??? Carlitin
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote