Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:26 AM   #1

Hey, just been brousing the DSLR forums of late discouvering the new Canon Rebel XT, dose anyone know if Nikon will be introducing another low priced DSLR? ........been reading from rumors and wispers of a D90/80 and a D50?? .....i no that PMA is real soon! hopefully Nikon will have more details about this.......

What im hoping for is another repeat of the 300D release.....and with Nikons quick response with the D70. Or will the 350D XT remain unchallanged?
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:12 AM   #2

well, i've said it before.. nikon seems to be losing this battle... really sad to see. I love nikon but they are lagging behind.

They _have_ to come up with something good soon, something really special. Canon is a giant, sure. But giants can be put down, all they need is some good thinking and smart ideas. Giants are slow, nikon should be more alert and agile.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3

Interesting opinions here I see!. Are Canon behind or in front? Interesting question really. Up till March 2004 they were in front, then lagged badly with the launch of the D70 for 10 months. It is all a question of how you see it. If you compare the D70 to the Rebel, no comparison, the D70 wins hands down. When - and we as consumers have no idea but I bet in the next 6 months - Nikon launch the successor to the D100 I am prepared to take bets that it will once again leapfrog the D20. The D70 is as good as, and in some respects better than, the D100.

As regards lenses, well I've seen it posted recently that Canon are cheaper. Well, if you have the money to buy a 600mm F4 yes, but talking more in our bracket the 70/200 F2.8 image stabilised is $200 cheaper than Canon, the 17/35 is slightly cheaper, Canon have no answer to the 17/55 F2.8, and so on. Like I say, it is how you see it. Is it better to buy the first improved camera out or wait for the other makers reply with a much improved version when there is only 6 months between them? My last Nikon I bought 12 years ago (I think) and it served me without fail until I went digital. I shall probably change the body in a shorter time span the way things are moving, but the lenses I now have will last a lifetime I reckon. Just my take on things.Six months to me is neither here or there, and if it was to the sports professionals you would only see white lenses out there, but there are more and more black. I know, I am a press member and at Goodwood and Le Mans I counted one against the other. There were a number too who were impressed with the combination of the 70/200 VRIFED and the TC14E too.

It's an argument which will never go away of course, but being first isn't always being in the long term the best.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:29 AM   #4
NHL

IMO it depends on how one chose to 'see' things:
Glass 1/2 full
The D70 competes against the 300D/Rebel - 6 month ahead
Glass 1/2 empty
The D70 competes against the 10D - 6 month behind
It was really positioned to compete against both; but by the time it was released the 300D prices have eroded such that the 10D almost achieved price parity with the Nikon (albeit with a metal body)... and now there's the 350D/20D!

Where then are the D2H/D2Hs positioned against the 1D/1Ds mark-II in the timeline? Granted not too many folks will buy theses cameras... One has to remember that the major sales are from the low-end 300D or P/S below and where Nikon desperately need to 'focus' their attention: their Coolpix line... This is where the revenues are made to finance the development of thoses 'glamorous' dSLRs!

Also the dSLRs are now your 'film' - Does one have a better 'emulsion' to try in the near future or a full-frame even or are we limited by the lenses... ? :G

'Smart ideas' always came from Minolta - Nikon was quick to follow the AF lead and captured this market a year after Minolta then -> if they are smart they should put the VR in the body and render Canon's lead in lenses for not! :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:23 AM   #5

Nikon has had the better entry-level DSLR, the D70, for the best part of a year, and now Canon have launched a product, the Rebel XT, that matches the D70. Which is the better between the D70 and the new Rebel is yet to be seen. It looks to me that Canon are the one playing catch-up, and a year later they have yet to significantly surpass Nikon on the entry-level DSLR.
sabaisabai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:22 AM   #6

...to add fuel to the brand fire...:?

remember that we are all raving about the ergonomics of SLR's and DSLR's today; that was a design first introduced by canon with teh t-90 (one of my first all-in-one-wonder cameras) with its molded body.

Also, as far as AF is concerned, I remember everyone form minolta to nikon to pentax users in the 80's thought of canon's decision to go with a brand new lens system for the EOS as a bad idea; now everyone is switching to the in-lens motor camp.

Yet again (:lol the battle between the CMOS and CCD chips....well, look at the D2X!!!

Nikon has never been in the forefront of technology, but have allways stayed a step behind, waiting for the new stuff to bewcome proven, then launch their version of it. I don't see why this is such a negative thing, and why everyone is up in arms with who is at the front (unless you own shares or have placed bets), I am pretty happy to be in the receiving end of this better/faster/cheaper battle myself... We consumers don't get too many chances to profit from the big corporations, so let's enjoy this one!....

LetTheBestCameraDropInPrice.DASROCKET
dasrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:04 PM   #7
NHL

dasrocket wrote:
Quote:
Also, as far as AF is concerned, I remember everyone form minolta to nikon to pentax users in the 80's thought of canon's decision to go with a brand new lens system for the EOS as a bad idea; now everyone is switching to the in-lens motor camp.
They learned from their mistake... The first Canon had the AF mechanism in the lens and got killed immediately by Minolta/Nikon which had it in the body: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SLRs/canont80/

... Ditto now -> the VR/IS/Antishake should be built-in to the body and not the lens!

Quote:
Nikon has never been in the forefront of technology, but have allways stayed a step behind, waiting for the new stuff to bewcome proven, then launch their version of it.
Well they did wait quite a bit for their wireless flash system (SB600/SB800). Minolta had it a decade before Canon... follow by Nikon only a short time ago: http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:35 PM   #8

I agree, Nikon when they release a product, they really release a product in full force which takes canon several revision to overcome.

One great thing about Nikon is you could use an alternative such as the Fujifilm S3 Pro or S2 Pro, which allows you to use Nikon lens and flashes.

It is basically a Nikon with extra features. Which isn't too bad.

The D70 is a nice camera. I was able to play with it a bit over the weekend. I had the honor to play with the Canon 20D as well. I have to say the Canon 20D is a very nice camera. The speed of taking pictures and focus speed is really good.

What I like about Canon 20D is it has more focus points than Nikon so far. The focus speed and picture taking speed surpasses Nikon for similar price ranges. You would have to go up to D2H or D2X to get that power.

D70 focus and speed isn't too bad. Given the feature and function, I would like it to be in the sub-1000 price range though. Having both the D70 and D100 close to each other in price range is a bit wacked.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:10 AM   #9

I guess the question realy is . can you take pictures that make you happy with the camera you have. if so let nikon and canon worry about who s first in the market.
take pictures and have fun.:P:|:|:|:|:|:|
pyropuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:41 AM   #10

Good thing the worrying of the next Dslr wont transpire into wanting to marry again. Cause if thats the case we'll be tired of our beautiful wives after the first year of marriage, and be looking for a new one. Then like cameras, beautiful wives would come a dime a dozen.:G
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote