Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:31 AM   #1
wll

Well here we are and the once great big "N" is nowhere to be found.

Are Nikon engineers quitting and being employed by other manufactures? Is Nikon getting into some other business (hardware, plumbing, automoble manufacturing, office supplies), because it doesn't look like there in the forefront of digi camera technology anymore.

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:32 PM   #2
wll

Gosh darn, it's been close to 10 hrs since I made this sarcastic post ... I'm hope'g you guys come thru as I own 2 4500's and a 8400 and they are great.

I just wish you would come out with a quality product in a timely fashion to keep your press going.

I have an idea that your new procumer and DSLR line of products will be announced in early spring ~ April, May.

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3
Administrator

For a list of all things being announced at the PMA show that started today, go here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pma2005_index.html
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:22 AM   #4

wll wrote:
Quote:

I have an idea that your new procumer and DSLR line of products will be announced in early spring ~ April, May.

Bill

and then 6-9 months later they hit the shops... in the US and Japan... and then 3 months later Europe and UK

Who knows Bill, Nikon might yet have something up their sleave... or maybe not
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:32 AM   #5

Nikon is really a bit falling behind in both prosumers and DSLRs' development. To be on the lead again, Nikon should, in my opinion, make a drastic change to the design of future DSLRs. Here, I suggest three design changes to the current DSLRs:

First is the inclusion of the EVF function to the DSLRs. The magic of prosumers is with its EVF. You can examine the lighting condition of pictures before you take them, thus assuring perfection in exposure. I'm looking forward to DSLRs with an EVF or, the best,an EV cum optic viewfinder.

Despite the fact thata dust-free environment for the CCD is essential to DSLRs, there are evidently nothing done by both Canon and Nikon to do away with the problem and I really don't know why they dare claim their top-of-the-line models as professional cameras when these cameras are subject to contamination at all timeduring application. So, the second design change is the introudction ofa dust-free CCD chamber toDSLRs. Ultra sonic devices are good but they are monopolized, I think, by Olympus. Nonetheless, there must be ways out. If the dustproblem is not solved, no DSLRs are professional enough from the point of view of quality assurance for pictures.

To date, the design of DSLRs is still very much influenced by SLRs'. The merits of prosumers should be incorporated into DSLRs to make the latter more versatile and powerful. This will be the third design change I recommend to make for DSLRs.

Of the problems that are in existence in the DSLRs on the market, the dust problem is the one that most annoys me. I have not yet bought any DSLR, including the Nikon's despite the fact that I have a number of lenses in hand for use on Nikon's bodies.I will remain so if this condition is not to be changed in future.

I have confidence that Nikon is able to bring perfect solutions for the design of future DSLRs.

As a matter of fact, if the lens of prosumers were interchangeable, it would be a terrifying nightmare to the DSLR manufacturers.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:37 AM   #6

IMHO an EVF goes against a huge reason for even having a SLR. The human eye has much more resolution than will ever (next 10 years) be displayed on a camera LCD. Also, I really don't think having a EVF has anything to do with determining correct lighting conditions (pre-shot). This is because aperture, shutter speed, and flash are not taken into account.

It sounds to me that you want a prosumer camera with interchangeable lenses of the same quality as SLR lenses. I would recommend continuing to ask for this instead of DSLR changes.

Also, if you've ever looked at your SLR film negatives/slides developed at most places at the same resolution as DSLR images, you'll note that they have scratches EVERYWHERE that are much worse than any DSLR dust. I'll take dust over crappy film any day.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote