Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:30 AM   #1

I am considering a SLR digital to replace my regular SLR. I only use it in AUTO. How is the contrast, lighting and color of photos taken in AUTO in various conditions indoor and out, from just turning on the camera and shooting.

Thanks

wiste
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:19 AM   #2

I am a new D70 owner, and I am still learning the capabilities of the camera. If you only want to use the camera in AUTO, then I think you are wasting your money on a camera like the D70. You will be missing out on what the camera will do!! For just AUTO mode, you would probably be better off with a "Point and Shoot" digital.
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:11 AM   #3

I would agree its a lot more money but don;t you agree that an SLR has photos that are much much better quality....they are crisp and clear and detailed.

I only use my regularSLR camera in auto and I get that EXTRA quality that I do not get in a point and shoot.

Have you used yours in AUTO, could you tell me how it works if you change nothing...? IS the balance of light good, the color good ? any troubles that you found that made you HAVE to change a setting ?

Thanks for responding!

wiste

Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:20 PM   #4

well one photographer on a site said it best.
use auto and worry about composition.
made sense, although i myself prefer aperture priority.
he said there's a 135+ years of camera history in your camera, why not use auto?

i guess i can understand his viewpoint
sorta like, learn how to drive properly and well, before fine tuning your car to how want or like it to run.

here's a quote from ken rockwell, go to his site, he's very insightful
"My suggestion is to start off with your 35mm SLR set to matrix metering, program auto exposure and autofocus! Your images will actually be better than dispassionate people who waste their time with manual methods because most cameras have better programming inside them than most photographers do! Your modern SLR camera probably uses the Zone System to figure exposure, which very few photographers understand."

get the d70, great investment, great price where it is now, if you keep waiting for the new hot thing, you'll just pay a higher price, get it and go shoot.
i did yesterday with my dog, spent at least an hour with her and had only a 512 CF card with me, could have easily shot 2-3 gigs worth, it's fun and addicting.
and incidentally i shot in auto most of the 50+shots i took and i have to admit, my composition improved, because i wasnt as worried about metering and exposure and what not.
im still learning, it's a learning process right.

enjoy and don't forget to wipe the drool everytime you use it:?
kubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:44 PM   #5

Thanks !!

That made me feel good, having a REASON that it's ok to use AUTO !

But it does makes sense that it would be hard to improve on years of experience, when I have none; and I love the "composition" part of photograhy and the quality lens to do the work. Glad you are enjoying yours!

Thanks again...wiste
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6

ya anytime, it kinda makes sense if you're just learning.
after you dl the pics to your comp, look at the details and the aperture/shutter speed the camera took the pic in and then youll get an idea as to how it looks and works.
then eventually you can fine tune your own pics.
you're gonna go nuts with it trust me, im sure everyone on here nikon, canon, pentax, everyone else digital, can & will vouche for me.
only thing i dont like about the d70 is the 3frames per second, wish it was more like 24 :sad:
but i guess, its how business goes, dont feed the consumer everything or else they wont buy next years model or the year after...
kubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:03 PM   #7

wiste wrote:
Quote:
I would agree its a lot more money but don;t you agree that an SLR has photos that are much much better quality....they are crisp and clear and detailed.

I only use my regularSLR camera in auto and I get that EXTRA quality that I do not get in a point and shoot.

Have you used yours in AUTO, could you tell me how it works if you change nothing...? IS the balance of light good, the color good ? any troubles that you found that made you HAVE to change a setting ?

Thanks for responding!

wiste

I agree with you. Most point and shoots (including Nikons) have a very small CCD, so the pic quality is not as good as an SLR.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote